This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Pumpkin Spice lattes are out, but summer doesn’t have to be over just yet. If you’re anything like me, you’re not alone in wishing you could soak up a few more effortless days at the beach. Thankfully, Taylor Jenkins Reids’ Malibu Rising will take you there. Similar to the waves they catch along the Malibu Coast, the Riva family is far more tangled in an undercurrent of lies, regret, and mistakes than even they realize.

Nina, the gorgeous supermodel everyone seems to envy, holds the weight of the entire family on her shoulders as her own dreams sail farther away. Hud wonders if he will ever find the right time to confess the truth to his brother and best friend. Jay waits in anticipation for the woman who will change everything. And lovable Kit struggles with her own identity amidst a world that only seems to keep letting her down.

The exclusive Riva party is one you’ll surely want an invitation to. Taylor Jenkins Reid effortlessly blends the narrative and consequences of multiple generations into one bombshell night where Nina, Jay, Hud, and Kit are forced to deal with the past they’ve all tried to ignore. You won’t be able to put this book down as you continue to be amazed at the lengths the Riva family will go to for love, forgiveness, and truth. Will this family survive their own secrets, or will it all go up in flames?

One of my favorite aspects of this novel is Taylor Jenkins Reid’s ability to delve into complex characters and plot lines without losing the fast-paced feel. The story is told from an outside perspective, but it truly feels like you get to know each character as well as the challenges they face on a very personal level. While older adults would definitely enjoy this novel, I think it is especially relatable to a college-aged audience. Malibu Rising truly feels like a beach day with your best friend!

Hey everyone! My name is Lucy Peterson and I’m a senior studying English & Anthropology at Fordham University. I'm so excited to serve as the Co-Campus Correspondent alongside Grace Buczak.