mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

In the News: Joe Biden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

A few short weeks ago, former Vice President Joe Biden, who served under the Obama administration, responsed to the unending waves of criticsm he has received for recent accusations of much too close contact with several women in public spaces.

In an effort to reply to the women who were left feeling quite uncomfortable after their encounters with the former VP, Biden posted a two-minute video acknowledging that times have changed. “Social norms have begun to change, they’ve shifted, & the boundaries of protecting personal space have been reset & I get it.” Biden also said, “I hear what they’re saying. [ ] I’ll be much more mindful. That’s my responsibility, & I’ll meet it.”

Biden promised to be more mindful of women’s personal space & publicly claimed to be willing to adjust his behavior & the way he interacts with others. While his pledge is commendable, Biden did not directly apologize for his actions, or to the women involved. Biden has defended his actions, claiming that these physical moments is how he connects with people. “I shake hands, I hug people. I grab men & women by the shoulders & say ‘YOU can do this!’ Whether they’re women, men, young, old, it’s the way I’ve always been. It’s the way I’ve tried to show I care about them & I’m listening.”

In the midst of this quickly-forgotten issue, Biden has announced his plan to run for the presidential seat in 2020. Despite all allegations, though, quite a large group of women have already displayed unwavering support for his campaign. Biden’s run will not only bring up these issues once more, but it will also epitomize the looming question of the current Democratic initiative: is new policy most important, or is the focus moreso placed on beating Trump?

What can we do? Keep an eye on the news & be sure to register to vote! This election is a BIG one!

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.