New Jersey Devil: Nate Schiller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Communication and media Studies major Nate Schiller has spent the past four years donating his extra time to the communications related activites on campus. Production Manager of Fordham’s very own sports talk show, Overtime, and as a beat reporter at WFUV, Nate has turned his interest in sports to better his experience at Fordham and hopes to continue to fulfilling his dreams in sports journalism. Nate took time away from his final weeks here at Fordham to answer some questions for Her Campus. 

Where are you from? Morris Plains, NJ

What year are you? Senior

What is your major? Communication and Media Studies

What activities are you involved in? How did you become involved? I’m the Student Production Manager of “Overtime”, Fordham’s TV sports talk show, as well as a sports anchor for Fordham Nightly News and a beat reporter for WFUV where I cover the New Jersey Devils.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? I knew I wanted to go to school within driving distance of home, and I was impressed when I made my first visit to the beautiful Rose Hill campus.  After checking out some of the other schools around the Northeast, I knew Fordham was the place for me.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.  You have the rest of your life to work, but only so many years to be a college student.

What’s your favorite thing about New York? There’s always something to do or somewhere to go in the city that never sleeps.

What’s your least favorite thing about New York? Mass transit can be a pain.  Nothing can ruin your day faster than sprinting to your train and missing it by 30 seconds.

What is your favorite thing about Fordham? The location. I love being so close to the city while still living on a classic, green college campus

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Father Tueth.  Not only a good teacher and funny, but one of the more down to earth professors I’ve had.

What was your favorite class at Fordham? American Film Comedy.  I got to see plenty of funny movies that I had never even known existed.

What do you think is the best part of a Jesuit education? The best part of a Jesuit education is St. Ignatius’s assertion to “Go forth and set the world on fire.” Arson jokes aside, the idea of using my education to go out and leave my mark on the world is something I believe in strongly.

What is your dream job? Either a Sportscenter anchor or a famous TV/film producer.

What’s on NYC bucket list? Coney Island. I’ve been all over NYC but still haven’t had a chance to make it down there.

What is on your Fordham bucket list? Make it into the Keating bell tower. If you’re reading this Father McShane, help me out!

What is one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? Despite having red hair, I am 0% Irish. Shocking, I know.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiate what would it be? Enjoy every minute of your 4 years at Fordham because they go by quicker than you can imagine.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Bronx Zoo

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille

Marty’s Lawn or Eddies? Eddies

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Dr. Jay’s

RamVan or Subway? RamVan

Met or MoMA? MoMA

Hot Dog or Bagel? Hot Dog

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway 

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Madison Square Garden 

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park