Movie Review: I, Tonya

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I watch a lot of movies, but that is not to say that I am at all qualified to write a movie review. Regardless, I’m gonna do it. Because I LOVED I, Tonya and I want to talk about it. First things first: Margot Robbie would sparkle in a commercial for dish soap, but she does more than sparkle in this movie. Her Tonya rips you up, curses you out, and turns you to tears in the best way possible. I more than once caught myself laughing before the tears had dried on my cheeks, or beginning to well up mid-giggle. When she lands her triple axle, it took every ounce of willpower I had not to shoot up out of my seat and cheer.

Tonya was involving and hilarious and poignant and distressing and eye-opening. It took such a publicized, exploited, examined incident and looked closer, at the things that the media of the time ignored, and continued to ignore long after. Regardless of how someone experienced “the incident” or how they remember it going, it almost takes a backseat to the life of the person at the center of it all. It’s impossible to come out of this movie without having an inward discussion about Tonya Harding, the person, not the figure skater. 

Obviously, I thought that I, Tonya was a riot on a whole bunch of different levels. See it if you love figure skating, if you love history, if you love Allison Janney. Just see it. 

I enjoy British cookies. Biscuits, if you will.