This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As November flies by, we often find ourselves preoccupied with a never-ending to-do list. Midterms, the approaching holiday season, and errands fill our thoughts and fuel our worries and plans. It’s easy to forget to stay present and hard to find time to take a second to reflect. However, as November is usually the midpoint of the semester, it is important acknowledge all of the great memories we have made so far, and to make our plans for the rest of the semester – it’s sure to fly by just as fast as the first half did!

As a senior who is graduating early, this is my last semester as a student – which is scary. After being in school my entire life, it’s daunting to imagine what a future without homework, exams and assignments will look like. To make it even worse, I’m kind of a secret nerd and love taking classes, the satisfaction of finishing a long essay, and making flashcards. However, I am excited to find out what the future holds. Some things I know for certain, like where I’ll work and when I’ll start, but other things – where I’ll live, who I’ll meet, how I’ll feel about post-grad life – remain a mystery. 

But let’s take it back to the present. When I realized we were halfway through the semester, I found myself both filled with gratitude for all of the fun I’ve already had and, at the same time, excited for what’s to come. 

My favorite parts of this last semester as a student have been little moments. The late night treks home from the bars, walking through campus as the leaves change, the Uber into Manhattan for dinner, and experiencing the “sunday scaries” with all of my best friends. I’ve done big things, too – we threw a fake wedding for some of our best friends, organized rooftop bars for the senior class, and took a trip to Nashville. These were things I’ve been looking forward to for years, and they definitely lived up to my expectations. However, what I’m most grateful for is that I did these things surrounded by my favorite people in the world. And what I’m most excited about is that I have the opportunity to do so many more amazing things with those same amazing people.

The rest of the semester will undoubtedly be a rush of cold weather, holiday parties, and final exam preparation. But in the midst of all the chaos, I’ll also get to experience things like Christmastime in New York. I’ll get to go to candlelit dinners and buy new sweaters on shopping trips with friends. I’ll stay up late in a classroom stressed over flashcards while my best friend chugs coffee at the desk next to mine. 

I’ve cherished almost every single moment of my senior year so far, and have no plans to stop that now. Luckily for me, though I’m graduating early, I’ll be living in the Bronx with my roommates until May – can’t get rid of me that easy! But my time as a student is coming to an end – so next time I’m frustrated with an assignment or dreading waking up for class, I’ll remind myself that one day I’ll miss these days – because I’m sure I will.

Kaleigh Pfohl

Fordham '23

Kaleigh is an International Political Economy major at Fordham and loves reading, traveling, and trying new restaurants!