Michael James Hayes, FCRH ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Michael James Hayes

Single or Taken: Single 

Major: Communication & Media Studies 

What he’s looking for in a significant other: A woman who is genuine, mature, confident and funny. That might be a tall order, but I think anyone who is serious about finding their counterpart is entitled to strict criteria.

Why he picked Fordham: I wanted the opportunity to be in New York, and my uncle, a Jesuit at Loyola Marymount, suggested Fordham. After extensive research, I decided it was the best school for me. I couldn’t be happier with my decision. 

Campus Involvement: I try to stay busy on campus and make the most of my time here at Fordham. I’m an active member in Campus Activities Board, Fordham Nightly News, Ram Van, The Fordham Ram, Hellenic Society, Deutscher Studenten Klub, Lambda Pi Eta, Ultimate Frisbee, RETC and at one point WFUV. 

Hobbies: I have a few leisures, photography, live music, snowboarding and surfing.

Favorite Pick-Up Line: I’ve never been the guy to use pickup lines, I’ve heard only bad things. But what generally works for me is “Hi, my name is Michael, I’m an astronaut” I think women appreciate the sincerity. 

What is your guilty pleasure? I have some questionable artists in my music library… One Direction, Justin Bieber, T-Swift, Brittney Spears. Your typical 13-year-old girl playlist.  

What is one thing that you do not understand about the opposite sex? Their obsession with painting nails, I don’t know a  single guy who cares about the color or design of a girls nails. It just doesn’t matter, stop doing it.

What is your hidden talent? … I’m pretty good at solitaire otherwise I’m a talentless human.

If you were forced to sing karaoke, what song would you sing? “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction… I know all the words so I don’t even need the screen. 

Do you prefer to make the first move or have her come to you? No preference, I have good experiences in both scenarios. I guess it just depends on the girl.

What’s on your Fordham bucket list? Visit Keating bell tower,  I kinda want to go on the roof of Campbell, I want to win something from CAB Bingo! And graduating would be cool, fingers crossed.

Who is your celebrity crush? Kate Beckinsale. I don’t know her personally but she seems fantastic.

What is the best way a girl can get your attention? “Hello!” or maybe tapping me on the shoulder. 

What is your flirting technique? Well, its not exactly copyright. A few smiles and solid eye contact leads to a conversation, then I just try to make them laugh. If I can get her to laugh, its usually a good sign. 

What is your life motto? “Σὠμα και Διάνοια” which is Greek for body and mind. I pretend to be Greek because I love the culture and I interpret it to be the perfection of the entire self. You can’t go wrong in pursuit of perfection. 

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.