Megan’s Closet : The Perfect NYC Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

For Fordham University students, outings in New York City occur on a weekly basis. If you’re going to do a lot of walking, you’ll need comfortable shoes. If you’re doing a lot of shopping, you’ll need a cross body bag. If you’re staying there well into the night, when it gets colder you’ll need something warm. Well, readers, all three of your problems are solved! I wore this outfit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art last week and I think it is officially my favorite NYC outfit. I’m wearing a short sleeve black dress with a skinny brown belt, Melissa Button boots by Frye, a Free People fringed scarf, and an Urban Outfitters chunky cardigan and cross body bag. The dress is very comfortable and the color black, as you all know, goes with everything. The boots really dress up this outfit because of their mid-calf length. I originally paired ankle boots with this outfit, but I realized that the longer boots added an extra chic touch. The Free People scarf, no longer sold in Free People stores, has a paisley and baroque design with fringed ends. Any patterned scarf with several colors will really stand out to complement your look. Due to the approaching winter temperatures, I decided to rock my chunky cardigan. Any solid colored, heavy cardigan will do. If you have cardigans with elbow patches, that’s an even better choice; elbow patches are so cute an on trend! As for my cross body bag, it is the perfect size. The convenience of not having to hold it while walking is a huge plus and allows me to carry more shopping bags! The bag is made of faux black leather and is hassle-free when it comes to taking buses, trains, and the subway around the city. In short, consider this look if you’re planning an NYC outing. When it gets colder, you can certainly wear black tights, either sheer or patterned with lace, so you can stay warm and still rock this awesome look!