‘Love, Simon’ Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Love, Simon is a touching romantic comedy that follows Simon Spier as he navigates high school as a closeted gay teen. Based on a young adult novel by Becky Albertalli, the film follows Simon’s path to living his truth and coming out to his friends and family. Like many coming out stories, this one has its bumps, and definitely doesn’t always go as planned. Simon is conflicted on whether or not to come out before graduation, and finds himself replying to a comment online which connects him to another closeted student in town. He builds a relationship with ‘Blue,’ and the movie follows their relationship as they–behind false identities–help one another be brave and reveal their sexualities to their loved ones. The film is funny, fast-paced, and super sweet. It follows every rule of the traditional romantic comedy, and (!!) is set to a perfectly curated range of Bleachers songs. 

Fan of romantic comedies? Go see this movie. Want to feel hopeful for future generations? Go see this movie. Have a spare two hours? Go see this movie. You will definitely not regret it. 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.