Laughing with Lizzy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

So you’ve heard that Fordham Football broke history with their 8-0 record, right? You can credit this week’s campus celeb, Lizzy Rizzo, for the winning streak! Okay, maybe practice, hard work and dedication have something to do with the undefeated record too, but still, Lizzy is a big help! When she’s not busy supporting the team as a student-athletic trainer, Lizzy is probably studying or having fun with her friends. One of the sweetest people you’ll meet at Fordham, Lizzy can make anyone laugh; but really, try not to laugh at the puns she snuck into her interview. Here’s your chance to get to know Lizzy, and find out what makes her Fordham experience so fun!

Where are you from? Jacksonville, FL      

What year are you? Junior 

What is your major? Business Administration

What activities are you involved in? I am a Student-Athletic Trainer for the Football Team and a Eucharistic Minister for Campus Ministry

What has it been like to work with the football team as they made history this year? It has been an awesome experience! We have a great group of trainers, and the guys are all so friendly and nice. They’ve been working really hard and it’s great to see their hard work pay off.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? My parents didn’t want me to stay in Florida so I looked at schools around New York because I have a lot of extended family here. I also wanted a small school that had access to a city but wasn’t in a city. I’m happy with my decision to come to Fordham!

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Manage your time wisely, and make sure you keep your priorities in order! It’s good to focus on your work but College is also a time to make memories and have fun- so don’t sweat the small stuff!

What’s your favorite thing about New York? I love that there’s always something going on. New York is an eclectic city, there’s something for everyone!

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? Over the summer my roommates and I decided that every weekend we would go to the city to get brunch. So we went to a bunch of trendy places in the city to get eggs benedict every Sunday.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? I haven’t gotten the chance to do all the touristy things in the city. So probably go to the empire state building and the statue of liberty.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Growing up in Florida, I never had the chance to play in the snow. So, my favorite Fordham memory was probably last year when it snowed and me and all my friends went and played on Eddie’s.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Business Communications with Travis Russ. It was an awesome class and it really helped me improve on my presentation skills in public speaking and gave me confidence for interviews.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Definitely music history.. It was not my forte.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? The Caf. Freshmen and Sophomore year it was the place that all my friends came together to catch up after a long day. Since I moved off campus I definitely miss spending a lot of time there.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Don’t be afraid to get involved! Go to campus events, join clubs, and meet new people. You’re only in college for four years- make the most of it before it’s too late!

What’s your dream job? Elementary school teacher.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? Everyone is equal and it makes the campus feel more accepting. I think that a Jesuit education has made me a well-rounded individual. I know that after my time here at Fordham I will be prepared to take on the real world.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I’m a trainer for the football team and during the Temple game I was on the sideline to hand out waters to the players. I wasn’t really paying attention and all of a sudden I look up and one of our players is running at me full speed and completely tackled me to the ground! I ended up getting a concussion, it was super embarrassing, and I didn’t even get on Sports Center Not Top Ten!

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botans

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Neither

RamVan or Subway? RamVan

Met or MoMA? Met

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Madison Square Garden

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.