samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Kim K. & Her Road to Becoming a Lawyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Kim Kardashian.

The name heard ’round the world. First known for a raunchy & very public sex tape, & now praised for her savvy business sense & famous family, Kim Kardashian West has always lived in some kind of spotlight, & with that, of course, comes ridicule. Because of this, most people don’t look at her or read about her & the other Kar-Jenner sisters in the tabloids & think, “that woman could be a lawyer.”

But how wrong we are! In a recent interview with Vogue, Kim K. announced that she will be spending the next few years working to become a lawyer, studying & apprenticing at a California law firm in any & all of her free time. Set to take the bar exam in 2020, the mom of 3 has said that her interest in criminal law began at a young age & wants to “fight for people who deserve a second chance.”

Just last year, Kardashian West was successful in her petition to President Trump to remove the life sentence of an Alice Marie Johnson, a non-violent drug offender. This very petition is what led to the recent passing of a piece of criminal justice reform legislation in Congress, entitled the FIRST STEP Act.

While we might scoff at the series of episodes of KUWTK that air every Sunday night & roll our eyes at her mostly-nude Instagram posts, Kim Kardashian West is in reality setting quite the example for girls all around the world – we can do anything we put our minds to, no matter what people have to say about it. 

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.