mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Kamala Harris Drops Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

The latest in newsworthy moments from the 2020 presidential campaign trail: Senator Kamala Harris is out.

Once considered a front-runner, Harris’ seemingly abrupt withdrawal came as a shock to many. In a direct post to supporters, Harris wrote, “My campaign for president simply doesn’t have the financial resources we need to continue. I’m not a billionaire. I can’t fund my own campaign. And as the campaign has gone on, it’s become harder & harder to raise the money we need to compete.”

Some believe that by dropping out, Harris did the best thing she could for the Democratic party, that being shrinking the current field of candidates, which has proven worrisome for the party’s voters. The overwhelming lack of consensus amongst the Dems in the running has created quite the unproductive primary season, harming party unity. Others, however, find Harris’ campaign suspension to be an upsetting development, removing a prominent woman of color from the race to the White House. In the midst of other candidate dropouts, the hashtag #DebatesSoWhite has been trending, pointing directly to the upcoming debate, which will now be an essentially all-white, mostly male affair.

Ultimately, concluding that she had “no path” forward, Harris’ decision was probably for the best considering the financial factors mentioned & several devastating media cycles over the past couple of months surrounding her shaky policy core. She did, however, tell her supporters that she is “still very much in [the] fight,” promising to continue her crusade for justice for all people despite the end of her campaign.

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.