The Importance of Women’s Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

According to Forbes the Sports Industry was lasted quoted with as a $60.5 billion industry and is expected to reach $73.5 billion by 2019. The Fashion Industry produces $621 billion a year on women’s wear alone. Why then, does sport related media get so much more coverage?

ESPN inc., which is owned by The Walt Disney Company has a dozen sister channels. In addition, it is estimated that 37% of ad spending on broadcast television comes from commercials on air during sports programming. How many channels does Vogue have? How many does Women’s Wear Daily have?

While most women’s media companies are in print, online, and social media, so are men’s media companies. And while yes, you have to be able to physically watch a game, there is no need for that many networks. While women do watch ESPN, the sports industry is geared towards men. In fact, ESPN and the like have been criticized for the lack of women’s sports coverage. It is perfectly fine the have men’s media. The issue is, women’s media is nowhere in proportion to that of men’s.

To greater show the division, Fordham University itself offers a Sports Journalism minor, the Fashion Studies minor only offers one class that is journalism related.

This further proves that women’s journalism and media is seen as frivolous. There is a stigma that comes along with a explaining that I want to be a fashion journalist. It doesn’t sound as intelligent as wanting to be a hard news anchor, and it doesn’t sound as exciting as wanting to be a sports broadcaster. There is a deep issue here that we are failing recognize. The truth is fashion and beauty is not just about appearance. The clothes and makeup you put on talk for you; you don’t even have to open your mouth to make a statement about yourself. The same pride that is held in athleticism should be held in creativity. Fashion is clearly one of the arts. Beyond that, fashion is a math, a science, a business. It’s a right.

There are chemical engineers developing waterproof makeup. There are statisticians determining the sustainability of fabrics. There are activists advocating for better conditions for factory workers. There are psychologists studying consumer behavior and advertisers turning those patterns into reality. Clearly, women’s media isn’t frivolous at all. It’s quite profound. It’s underrated, underappreciated, and undervalued. Expanding women’s media platforms would not only create more jobs, it would create a greater awareness of the fashion industry’s importance.

Beyond this, there is the issue of what happens when a woman dares to venture out beyond the world of “typical” women’s media. First there is the infamous case of Fordham alum, Lauren Duca. At the end of a segment about Ivanka Trump’s “sinister complicity” in her father’s campaign, Tucker Carlson tells Lauren Duca of Teen Vogue she should, “stick to the thigh-high boots.” This comment is simply degrading. It not only shows that women journalists are not taken seriously, but that women should stick to what appears to be frivolous. Furthermore, it insists that women should not even bother caring about politics or any other important topic. It reduces women to entertainment, fashion and beauty. While those topics are also crucial, those are not all a women is concerned with. Publications such as Glamour have been trying to expand their viewpoints to show women that they will not be reduced. Reese Witherspoon graced the cover of Glamour’s October issue with a  cover story zeroed in on ambition and women empowerment.

While these instances are praised for their feminism, it’s not enough. Earlier this month, Panthers’ quarterback Cameron Newton answered a female reporter’s question saying, “It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes.” with a smirk smeared across his face. Sports Illustrated posted a piece with a video showing the original comment as well as an apology from Newton. And while the post might’ve seemed sincere at first glance, the end of the article states the Panthers’ record for this season along with their next scheduled game; as if this post should make you concerned about football and not about the way women are patronized.

When women write traditional women’s media, they are scorned for being frivolous and superficial. When women try to raise their voices and expand, they are scorned and told they don’t know what they’re talking about. Women are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.