alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Still Love My Career Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As a motivated college student, I knew that finding success in the “real world” that people talk about so ominously is difficult. But like every motivated college student, I knew I had to work hard to get there and to find where I belonged. Here is my story about how despite coming across people who didn’t love the career I was pursuing as much as I did, my internship was more than successful.  And also, how my dream can still be followed regardless of what others thought of it.

When I was little, I always wanted to be on stage and in front of people. Granted, I wanted it to be in the form of Avril Lavigne or later on in my tween years, Hannah Montana, but I wanted that spotlight. I wanted to give something to the people in front of me that they hadn’t heard before. As I grew up, my dreams and goals changed – but my logic did not.  

By the time I finished high school and got to college, I knew the field of journalism was for me and I wanted to do everything I could to make my way up the totem pole in the broadcast industry.  I still wanted to connect with people and share something with them they weren’t exposed to before. When I scored the interview for my first internship ever, I shed tears in my local Dunkin’ Donuts and left without my coffee because I had to call my mom and share the news. When I was offered the job, I was blinded with pure joy to be able to immerse myself in the field I dreamed of for so long. As always, there was some skepticism following my trail to Cloud 9; I was shadowed with comments like, “My cousin was excited about her internship too until she realized she hated every second and switched her major,” or “That is a really competitive field, who knows maybe you’ll hate it…but congrats!” That type of commentary could not bring me down, I was too thrilled to show these people what I could (and wanted to) do.

When I got to this job, I was luckily thrust right into the chaos. I say luckily because there was no better way for me to learn. High pressure had always made me thrive and being told I was trusted and then sent on my way pushed me directly out of my comfort zone into my success at this job. Each day was so thought provoking and they were never dull. There was always something to learn and I was so incredibly eager. I gained confidence with every hour of experience and for that I am very grateful.

When the time came for me to do some fieldwork and see what my role models did on a daily basis, I was exposed to the people who were not as obsessed with this career path as I was. I was talked down to for being “just an intern,” I was scoffed at when I said I was aware of how much money a journalist usually makes, and eyes were rolled at me when I said I understood journalists don’t get to celebrate basically any holidays. I understood all of this, and to so many people in this industry, the love of the game simply wasn’t enough. I wondered if it was because they thought I was naïve, or simply wasn’t experienced enough to understand the profession dragged along sometimes, many times, even. But one person I worked with said to me as I observed a reporter, “Damn. If you’re that excited all the time? You won’t ever tell a bad story.” That was one of the best compliments I have ever received because I honestly think I will always be able to find that excitement within myself.

So many times over my summer work experience, the thoughts of quitting and taking the safe route were thrown my way. They bounced around in my head for a small amount of time until I realized that the only opinion that mattered was mine. And I have to say; I really loved this field of work. My hopes were confirmed about how exciting this line of work is and that couldn’t have made me happier. Quitting was never an option for me, but after loving this fantastic experience so much, working harder than ever before is the only thing on my mind now. My advice following this summer is to let no one rain on your parade, collegiettes, the world of opportunity is yours for the taking. Take it and run with it and leave the skeptics far, far behind. 

Lauren is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a degree in Journalism and Political Science. With a career goal of being a broadcast journalist, she is spending time interning at networks such as NBC and FOX. Hobbies include writing for Her Campus and singing in Fordham's all-female a cappella group, the Satin Dolls, as well as drinking too much coffee, listening to far too many boy bands, and watching Buzzfeed Tasty videos one after another.