This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Planners: The Life Changing Item You Need for Back to School

School is starting, and to be honest, most of us haven’t glanced at a planner since we checked out in the last week of April (or whenever the senioritis started around March for all you Freshmen!). But as a planner fanatic, I can tell you that being organized is actually life changing. Having a written planner is one of the most effective ways to be organized (even if it is just for the satisfaction of crossing an item off your list). So here is a complete four step guide to planning this semester! (And tbh to planning the rest of your life.)

1. Purchase or make a planner!

Buying a planner is probably one of the easiest ways to start. Some great places to get a planner are your school’s bookstore, Staples, Target, or Amazon. These are great because you can choose from so many different patterns and formats. I recommend buying one with a monthly and weekly calendar, but the choice is up to you!

Another way to jump start mission planner is to create a Bullet Journal. These journals have taken the internet by storm with tens and hundreds of YouTubers making their own videos on how to set up your very own Bullet Journal. Using this method, you can create your own unique designs and formatting. Bullet Journals are definitely more time consuming when you factor in set up; the more design and formatting you add to your personalized planner, the more time it takes, so beware!

1. Input important dates.

So you’ve purchased or made your planner, amazing! Now beginning to use your planner is actually the hardest part. Start by inputting all the most important dates into the monthly calendars: midterms, finals, tests, quizzes, projects, presentations, etc. This is honestly what sylly week is all about! Get organized now so that you don’t have to work as hard later.

1. Decide how to format daily assignments.

Depending on the planner you choose, inputting daily assignments can be confusing, so decide how you are going to write down your assignments now. If you skip this step, you will be discouraged from writing down assignments in the future, so make sure you know what you are doing! Make sure you allow enough space for all your assignments so that the planner does not get too crowded and messy.

1. Keep planner up to date and consistent.

This is the most important step, because without this step, all previous steps are a complete waste of time. It is worth the time you will spend writing down assignments and physically being able to see that they are complete, as opposed to the constant worry of missing homework. Make sure you keep up with homework daily and keep track of important due dates. Consistency is also key! Writing down assignments in the same order or in the same section on a daily basis will help you notice when you are forgetting something. Developing healthy organizational habits such as being consistent and up to date will help you, not only in school, but for the rest of your life.

Good luck in the start of your semester; make the most of it and don’t forget to plan!