How To: Simple Smoky Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Okay, ladies.  It’s time to get real about something we’ve all tried out but have yet to master: the smoky eye.  You start off with the idea of trying to look like Kim Kardashian but somehow always wind up looking all “Jersey Shore.”  Well, drop the black eyeshadow and put down the mascara.  Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how to create the perfect smoky eye.

STEP 1:  Start with a base.  Apply an eyeshadow primer all over your lid to prevent any creasing and to keep your shadow in place all day and all night.  If you don’t have a primer, opt for a concealer.  It works basically the same as a primer and covers up and evens out your lid to make colors pop.

STEP 2: Apply a shimmery taupe color over the lid, concentrating on the inner two thirds of your eye.  Make sure not to spread it into your crease.

In this look:  Sidecar by Urban Decay

STEP 3: Take a black shimmery shadow and apply it to the outer third of your eye in a sideways “v” shape.  Use a fluffy blending brush to spread the color further into your crease and avoid any harsh lines.

In this look: Creep by Urban Decay

STEP 4: Take a matte brown and blend it through the crease to smooth out the edges and achieve a more natural transition.

In this look: Buck by Urban Decay

STEP 5: Apply a shimmery white color right beneath the eye brow and onto the tear duct to make your eyes pop and give them that “Victoria’s Secret Angel” glow.

In this look: Virgin by Urban Decay

STEP 6: Skip the eyeliner and go back in with that same black shadow from before.  Smudge it onto your lower lash line for that smoky effect.  Finish of the eyes by adding a few coats of  your favorite mascara and voila!

Complete your look with a rosy cheek and a neutral lip (I mixed Mac’s Dazzleglass in Like Venus and Bare Minerals’ lip gloss in Sprinkles) and there you have it!  A quick, easy smoky eye for every occasion, no Kardashian Glam Squad necessary.