timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Have a Successful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Staring a new semester is the perfect time to get into productive habits in order to set yourself up for success!

Put Everything Important Into a Planner

The first thing that I highly recommend is a planner. This can be an inexpensive one or, if you want to splurge, one that’s on the pricey side. It’s important to get one that makes you want to get all the work you have to do done. You can even use Google Calendar! The most important thing is that you keep track of whatever it is that you put in it. The next thing is to get your syllabi and put all of the dates that your assignments are due into it. This will help you keep track of all the assignments that you have coming up. Also it’s beneficial to put all extracurriculars, jobs, or any other activities that you have into it to be aware of important dates.

Manage Your Time

It’s easy, especially in the beginning of the semester, to want to sign up for every club, activity, etc., that you see. It’s important that you give yourself a chance to try out whatever may interest you, but it’s also vital that you don’t overload yourself. It’s also important to manage your time when it comes to schoolwork. It can be very easy to want to hang out with your friends and do everything other than schoolwork, however, it’s important to balance your time with those fun things and school. It’s good to have a balance!

Establish a Morning Routine

The mornings are a perfect time to get on the right track to have a productive day. First, do at least one thing that makes you happy in the morning. This can mean making a cup of coffee, reading, giving yourself an extra five minutes to relax, or whatever else that could brighten your mood. It’s essential to do something that makes you happy because you’re not going to be excited about approaching the day ahead if you don’t. Try to stick with a flexible, but solid routine in order to feel prepared for the full day.

Set Goals

It’s easier to know what you want to accomplish if you’re first aware of what it is that you truly want. These goals can be about anything, not just school. These goals can include going to the gym more, getting more involved around campus, and anything else that is personal to what you wish to achieve. If you constantly remind yourself of your goals, then you’re likely to commit to actions that will help you accomplish them. 

Try to Adapt a Healthy Lifestyle 

When you get to school, it can be tempting to lose focus on eating healthy and exercising. It’s important to have a balance and eat food such as ice cream, cookies, etc., but also try to incorporate more healthier choices when you can. Eating healthy and going to the gym can make you feel better both mentally and physically. According to The Mayo Clinic, physical activity can increase the production of endorphins and ease your stress levels (Mayo Clinic Staff 1). By adapting a healthy lifestyle, it can make you feel more motivated and give you the energy to accomplish all that you have to get done in your day. 

I hope you keep these tips in mind when approaching the new semester! Remember: starting off the semester in a productive and organized way can help when you approach the middle and end of it.

Hi! I'm majoring in Communications and Culture with a minor in Marketing at Fordham Rose Hill. I hope you enjoy my articles!