HC Fordham Abroad: A Ginger In Ireland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

“You will fit right in.”

It’s the only response I heard from people when I told them I was going abroad this fall semester to Ireland, so naturally I believed them.

As an Irish-American with the whole package (red hair, fair skin, freckles, etc.), I look like I personally emigrated from Ireland.  However, upon arrival, I was shocked; I am still one of the few ‘gingers’ around.

On Sept. 3rd, I took the leap to come to Dublin, Ireland to study at University College Dublin for the semester. Why? I have no idea. I love Fordham; why did I want to leave? But after just two weeks away from everything and everyone I know, I love it.  Of course it is not Fordham, where I would be entering my junior year, jumping right back into Fordham Nightly News, Rose Hill Society, volunteering at the Botanical Gardens and more. Luckily, the experiences I have had in the short time I have been here have sufficiently filled the gaping Fordham hole in my life.

The day prior to leaving, I panicked and packed one giant suitcase, two duffel bags, and a backpack (all weighing slightly more than my own body weight). Later I was on my way to Newark airport and six hours later, I arrived in Dublin.

The first week I was in Dublin, I enjoyed being the extreme tourist.  Having grown up right outside NYC and attending Fordham, being ‘the ultimate tourist’ has never been more than just my Halloween costume, but I am fully embracing the role while in Ireland. 

Unfortunately Fordham does not have a program in Dublin, so I went through a pre-approved Arcadia University program.  It is a full immersion program, meaning that I am enrolled in an Irish university, and take my classes and live with Irish students – it is quite the experience.

I have five roommates in my apartment. One is American, who came through a different program, and four are Irish from different counties throughout Ireland.  Living with four girls from a different country has been quite the experience.  I know for a fact that the first three days I was here, my one roommate showed every single one of her friends my jar of Skippy Peanut Butter. Apparently peanut butter is the “ultimate American food” and they found it “so American” of me to bring peanut butter in my suitcase!

This past weekend, I went to Gorey in County Wexford, a small town about one hour from Dublin.  In Gorey, I was assigned a host family to live with for the weekend.  Prior to living with the Stewart family, I was expecting almost every stereotype of an Irish family: large; eat a lot of meat and potatoes; live on a farm, etc. I was in for a surprise.

Just like in many American families, Friday night was pizza night. We ate pizza and ‘chips’ (a.k.a. French fries).  The three ‘lads’ were just as crazy as any young American kids and their house was extremely similar to mine at home in New Jersey.  It certainly was not a family of twelve living on a farm eating potatoes.

The only major differences I observed was the heating situation (Irish homes (and dorm rooms!) do not have central heating, just radiators on the wall that individually turn on), and the relaxed nature of the parents (the eight year old son was up until midnight with us!).  But besides those minor differences I felt as if I was living in a family in the States.

Gorey is located about three miles from the Irish Sea, so on Saturday my host mom brought me to the beach. It was gorgeous!

On Sunday morning, prior to my departure from my new Irish family, I was served a traditional Irish breakfast of black pudding, hashers and sausages. It was delicious! And not only did I eat it, but my host mom taught me how to make it too (but my limited college cooking style will probably never call for such an elaborate meal!)!

This upcoming week is Freshers’ Week, where clubs and societies recruit new members, so I plan on fully immersing into campus life, and I cannot wait!

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.