Grocery Shopping for the College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Tired of eating on campus? Living off-campus & finding it hard to make satisfying meals? Here are some grocery solutions:

Places to Shop:

While we do have a few small grocery stores here in the Bronx, & not to mention the amazing little markets on Arthur Ave, if you’re looking to haul in a substantial amount of food, & at a reasonable price, then check out these places:

• Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s is quite inexpensive & has a great selection of unique food items, especially if you’re on a health kick. There are several locations in the city, but you can also try the store in Scarsdale – it’s a 15 minute train ride!
  • Stop & Shop: While Stop & Shop tends to be more on the expensive side, if you are in need of a big shopping trip &/or would prefer a larger selection of food brands, it’s the perfect place to go. There is a location in Mount Vernon, a 20 minute drive from campus.
  • Peapod: Don’t have time to make it to the store? Browse Peapod’s online aisles, pick a time & date that fits into your schedule, & await delivery! Peapod is relatively inexpensive & offers almost everything that you would find in an actual grocery store. First-timers get a discount!
  • HelloFresh: If you are one of those people that enjoys following recpies & trying out new dishes, then check out HelloFresh’s convenient meal kits, delivered directly to your doorstep! When you sign up, you get $20 off each of your first 3 boxes – it’s a steal!

Tips:

• When in doubt, buy the generic store brand – it’s just as good, but is always cheaper!
  • Don’t buy more than you need of one particular item, i.e. don’t go for the largest gallon of whole milk – you are one person & will probably only use a 1/4 or 1/2 gallon before it expires.
  • Versatility is key! Buy produce that can be used for multiple meals. For example, if you buy a few avocados, you can make avocado toast for breakfast, have guacamole with chips as an after-class snack, & throw some chunks into a yummy salad for lunch – that’s 3 dishes right there.
  • Check out the freezer aisle for ready-made dishes that you can eat when you run out of produce & don’t have time to go food shopping for a few more days. You should always buy produce & fresh ingredients to last you 1-2 weeks.
  • Always check for deals, coupons, &/or student discounts – every little bit helps.

Happy shopping!

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.