“The Greatest Showman”: An Inspiring and Must See Circus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

This is the Greatest Show!” As these lyrics from the title track suggest, The Greatest Showman has been an enormous hit. This original musical on the big screen has been earning great praise, including a Golden Globe win and an Oscar nomination. With the combination of its relatable plot, star-studded cast, and catchy soundtrack, The Greatest Showman has become one of the most successful movies of 2018.

Image taken from Vogue

The Greatest Showman is inspired by P.T. Barnum and is about the origins of show business and the circus. This movie-musical shows how one man worked from nothing to create a worldwide sensation. Within this plot of creating the circus, there is an even bigger storyline: celebrating diversity and differences. When choosing his circus acts, Barnum selects individuals who are not considered the typical idea of beauty. However, these individuals come together and make a widely popular show, showing that everyone is important and should be celebrated for being unique. Especially with current conversations about body image and stereotypes, this plot line was incredibly relatable and comforting to watch, the characters singing “I am brave, I am bruised I am who I’m meant to be, this is me.” The Greatest Showman leaves the viewer inspired to live their authentic life.

Image taken from Entertainment Tonight

Not only is the plot endearing and relevant, but so are the actors. Playing P.T. Barnum is the talented Hugh Jackman. This Broadway alum demonstrated his singing, dancing, and acting and was the perfect lead that the film needed. He was both powerful and vulnerable, which allowed the other characters in the story to flourish. Among these characters were Zac Efron and Zendaya. Seeing Zac Efron in his first musical since High School Musical was everything a 90s kid could hope for. What made Zac’s performance even better was his on-screen romance with fellow Disney alum, Zendaya. Zendaya, who totally rocked her pink hair, showcased her incredible dancing and her newfound skills as a trapeze artist in the film.

Image taken from Hollywood Life

To finish off this incredible plot and cast was the incredible soundtrack of the film which includes songs such as “The Greatest Show”, “The Other Side”, “Never Enough”, “This is Me” and “A Million Dreams.”

The Greatest Showman is a must see movie for people of all ages. It leaves the audience wanting to create their own version of an epic and great show. 

Image taken from Fullact

Madeline is a member of the class of 2020 at Fordham University, pursuing a double major in Journalism and Economics. Some of her favorite things include every Real Housewives franchise, Levain Bakery, and wishing she were the fifth member of Fifth Harmony.