Fordham’s Finest: Dean Parmach Revealed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Where are you originally from? I grew up in Jackson Heights, New York, about a mile from Laguardia Airport.

Did you attend Fordham? At first I did not, but I did do the ‘Jesuit Hat Trick.’ I attended Xavier High School, then I studied at Fairfield University for my undergraduate career, and then I attended Fordham for my graduate studies. I was close to attending West Point, but I really wanted to continue my Jesuit education instead.  Including graduate school, I’ve been at Fordham since September 1st, 1998.

Did you play any sports in High School and College? Yes, I ran track and cross-country at Xavier and also at Fairfield! I also coached cross-country after college.

What did you study at Fairfield University? I started off as a Pre-Med Biology major and then took a required philosophy and theology class, which I wanted to get in and out of and move on with my day. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the classes and I discovered that I did well in them and then switched to a double major in both Philosophy and Classics. I’ve always studied Latin and Greek!

What made you consider a career in teaching? I had a teaching internship at a summer program at a high school. I basically did three things. I taught two courses, I was their equivalent of an RD (Resident Director) and I coached cross-country. I just enjoyed it very much and I saw myself really getting involved in education!

If your life was a movie, which actor would you chose to play you and why? Well first, that wouldn’t be a very entertaining movie! Maybe Woody Allen? He’s kinda quirky and weird. I have a lot of varied interests and people see me in very different ways. Once people get to know me, I think they realize there’s a little part of me that’s a prankster with a comedy aspect.

Why do you do so many activities on campus? I think it’s important for students to see me in a different light and in normal life scenarios. Students see me in the gym and look at me as if i’m supposed to be lifting weights in a shirt and tie. I promise everyone, he’s just like us!

What is your favorite movie? Goodfellas is a great movie, it’s fantastic characters who work extremely well together and its hysterical. Having grown up in Queens it kind of represents that Italian culture. I probably have way too many family members that remind me of the characters, though, they’re involved in legal activities!

Do you have any celebrity look alikes? As a kid, everyone used to tell me I looked like the child star of E.T. I used to pretend I was a double for him in the movie. To this day I’m still not sure if they were telling me that to make me feel better about myself or if they actually meant it. Maybe you guys can be the judge of that?

Dean Parmach as the cutest little boy. He “really missed those Superman pajamas.” 

Mitchell Suskin: The Child Star in the movie ET.  See the resemblance? 

Do you have any tips for students who are balancing schoolwork, extracurriculars, and internships? (AKA the entire student body) I always tell students to do what I do. I decline two invitations every week! Not because I don’t care, but the reality is, when you try to do so much, you do nothing well. It is important to realize that you can’t go every day at a constant speed. Students over-commit themselves and they never intend to give it their complete intention. Second, if you check your calendars and are ahead of the game it’s very rare that you’ll make such a mistake that’s irrepairable. It’s important because you can make errors, just make different ones and try to learn from them!

What are you opinions on internships? There’s a reason why we want students to wait a little while to inquire and pursue internships. We want to make sure you have enough skills and expertise in order for you to be able to bring something to the table. Also, we want you to be doing something that you think is meaningful and therefore you actually learn something useful.

What is your favorite spot on campus? I have a few. I love the fact that my office is near the Keating chapel! It gives me a chance to go there during the day, even just for thirty seconds to escape. I also enjoy running on campus and around Eddie’s Parade. Sometimes I end up doing extensions of teaching while I’m outside interacting with my students in an environment that’s not a classroom. I also spend a good amount of time in Loyola because of the Manresa program.

What is your favorite restaurant on Arthur Avenue? All-around comfortable places that I enjoy are Emilia’s and Enzos. I agree, Dean Parmach. Enzo’s is the best!

What is your favorite thing to do on the weekends? I love to listen to live music, my girlfriend is a musician so we go into the city often. I also love to run through Central Park with friends and I love to be outside. Hiking is one of my favorite outdoor activities!

What is your favorite part about living so close to New York City? Two things. I always love to eat. The fact that nothing is ever closed is great because it’s the city that never sleeps. I love the food accessibility and the variety. You also never have to commit to one spot in the city. There isn’t only one thing to during the day. I really enjoy the spontaneity.

Broadway Shows or Sports? I like both, but I don’t go to either very often.

Dean Parmach is one of the nicest most amazing people on Fordham’s campus! My 30 minute interview with him was extremly influential and all Fordham students should take some time within their four years at Fordham to get to know him! 

Jessica is a sophomore at Fordham University, studying Political Science and International Studies. She is from Northport, Long Island and she loves everything about home. Jessica is involved in Campus Ministry, Fashion for Philanthropy, Relay for Life, Let's Get Ready, Club Tennis, and of course Her Campus at Fordham. She loves nothing more than Christmas time, preppy clothes, and the New York Rangers. Seriously, she's the biggest hockey fan ever! Jessica is super excited to be writing for Her Campus and looks forward to sharing her ideas with the Her Campus community!