Five NYC Tourist Spots that are Actually Worth Visiting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

While there are constant opportunities to go out and explore the city, it’s easy to overlook the spots which seem “touristy” and commonplace. You’ve probably seen them all over social media and might feel like they won’t end up being worth the hype, but I can assure you they are! If you haven’t taken advantage of the 5 spots below then you’re definitely missing out! 

1. Row Boats of Central Park 

Although they’ve officially closed up for the season, the row boats in Central Park will guarantee you and your friends a good time. While this experience does cost money, it’s relatively inexpensive — about $15 for the first hour and 4 people per boat. The boats are super easy to steer and offer incredible views of Central Park, especially throughout Autumn as the trees change color! Spending time out on the water is so relaxing, and offers a nice escape from the bustle of the city. 

2. Brooklyn Bridge 

The Brooklyn Bridge is about a mile long and takes about 30-45 minutes to cross, giving you and your friends the perfect amount of time to have some good conversation and catch up. The bridge offers spectacular views of the city as well as the Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges! It’s also in a really great location and gives you the opportunity to explore all that Brooklyn has to offer! The only downside is that the bridge is frequently crowded, so I’d recommend going at a less popular time such as on a weekday when you don’t have class. 

3. New York Botanical Garden

The New York Botanical Garden is literally right across the street from the Fordham entrance, so if you haven’t taken advantage of this amazing opportunity you definitely need to! Whether walking or running, taking the time to get off campus and experience nature is highly relaxing and will leave you in a good mood! The Botanical Garden also puts on fun exhibits throughout the year, many of which are themed around the holidays and will help you to get in the festive spirit! The best part is that entrance to the main areas is totally free for all Fordham students! 

4. Top of the Rock 

Even though tickets for Top of the Rock can be expensive, it’s worth seeing at least once. The views from the observation deck are breathtaking and offer an amazing perspective of the Chrysler building, entirety of Central Park, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, and so much more. The only thing standing between visitors and the outside are tall panels of transparent glass so if you’re a thrill seeker who’s not afraid of heights, this one’s for you!

5. Metropolitan Museum of Art 

I’ve been to the MET so many times and still haven’t seen everything I hope to! Featuring work by hundreds of famous artists such as Van Gogh, Monet, and Rembrandt, you’re guaranteed to find a piece you love! The Fordham Art History department also offers free tours of different exhibits on scheduled Fridays throughout the year which are definitely worth checking out! Here’s a link to find out more:  https://www.fordham.edu/info/22092/art_history_events!

Hey everyone! My name is Lucy Peterson and I’m a senior studying English & Anthropology at Fordham University. I'm so excited to serve as the Co-Campus Correspondent alongside Grace Buczak.