Fifth Harmony’s Latest Album: A True Blessing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Fifth Harmony announced the release of their self-titled third studio album over the summer, and on August 25th Harmonizers were graced with the voices of the four melodious singers of the pop girl group. This was the group’s first album after the departure of group member Camila Cabello, and it did not disappoint. What followed just two days after the release of this glorious album were the 2017 VMAs in which Fifth Harmony sassily performed a few of their songs. The group initially posed as a five-member band before flinging the fifth “member” off the stage as a rebound response to Cabello leaving the group to become a solo artist. The effect of that risky move on the VMAs stage was the idea that Hamilton, Jauregui, Hansen, and Hernandez do not need a fifth member to continue slaying the game of pop artistry success. This album is just more proof that, with just four members, Fifth Harmony is strong as ever and will continue loving their fans “down.”

1. The first song released from the album was “Down,” featuring rapper Gucci Mane. On June 2, fans of the group got a taste of what Fifth Harmony’s new music would sound like as a quartet. The catchy single discusses loyalty and being there for someone as long as reciprocity is shown. If you’re there for me (which you seem to always be), I’ll be there for you.

2. Next up on the album is “He Like That.” This song has perhaps the most instantly memorable tune on the whole album. This track, plain and simple, is about a boy falling head-over-heels for a girl. Now, she isn’t just letting the boy walk around crazy in love with her. She has some feelings for him, too. This incredible track also became a single with a music video released on the same day the album was dropped.

3. If the third track on the album has only one function in this world, it is to make you want to dance. “Sauced Up” is purely about letting loose, partying, and living in the moment. Member Dinah Jane Hansen spoke with LA Times and described the song. “It gives you that vibe — we like to party.”

4. The fourth song slows things down a little bit all with the intentions of reminding listeners that Fifth Harmony is the best. “Make You Mad” tells a story about if you let someone go, you might come to regret it, because you will soon see they were “the best you ever had.” Normani Kordei Hamilton describes this song to the La Times as a “bop.” So true.

5. The following song, placing number five on the album, rings some serious R&B vibes. The group literally delivered with this song as it is honestly entertaining and harmonious. “Deliver” speaks to a new direction the band is trying to go in, with some serious mature vibes. Speaking about keeping your word and being responsible, this amazing song just proves that Fifth Harmony is “reliable like that.”

6. Sixth on the self-titled album is “Lonely Night.” Lauren Jauregui describes exactly what makes this song so great. “What I love about this song is the range of the musicality.” The vocal performances by each member are dynamically strong. This song has lyrics to live by. Ladies, if a man isn’t treating you right, say “bye-bye.”

7. Next on the album is a song that speaks to loyalty and being there for someone you love. “Don’t Say You Love Me” is described by Hansen as “…a heart-wreching song — I can dance to it, I can cry to it…It gets you in your feelings.” The girls sing about needing their partner to step up and have their actions meet their words. If you say you love me, act like it. What the music world needs is “a little bit more” of powerful, emotional, and beautiful songs like this.

8. Taking number eight on the album is “Angel,” a promotional single under the production of Skrillex and Poo Bear. This song tells a story of a fling, talking about how the girls are too young to be caught up in a serious relationship. Though they suggest that they are no angels and can’t be perfect, their voices and harmonies seem to suggest otherwise in this track.

9. What follows a powerful song is one a bit less commanding and devilish. “Messy” has the group singing about their insecurities and weak points, opening up to someone about how they are not perfect. Ally Brooke Hernandez describes the beautiful and honest song to the LA Times: “It’s such a vulnerable, sweet song. You can hear our vulnerability, literally, in the vocals and in the breaths that we take.”

10. The final track on this brilliant album is “Bridges” with plenty of political messages in it. The song speaks to current attempts in the nation to block out immigrants. No acts of hate can ever be stronger than the force of love that makes people want to build bridges to connect the gap between people’s differences. What’s more important than any wall is a bridge that reminds people that “the world can be cold” but “we can’t let it divide us.”

This incredible album shares tunes that are innocent, spicy, catchy, political, and powerful. The album reminds fans of the wonderful voices of the four remaining members and assures them that the group is still devoted to fantastic music and honest lyrics.

(All gifs from giphy.com) 

Miranda is a commuter junior at Fordham's Lincoln Center campus, where she majors in English and minors in psychology, and is a commuter freshman mentor. Born and raised in New Jersey, she loves everything about the garden state, from the endless highways to the excess of diners. She's an aspiring writer and hopes to have a career as a director for first year experience at a university someday.