This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

In honor of March being Women’s History Month, let’s celebrate some badass females that were, & are, pioneers in quite a male-dominated field: law.

Margaret Brent

The first woman recorded to practice law in America, Margaret Brent arrived in the colonies in 1638 & shortly thereafter was named executor of Maryland Governor Leonard Calvert’s estate, becoming his trusted counsel for years to come.

Arabella “Belle” Babb Mansfield

Mansfield will forever be distinguished as the first woman to be admitted to a state bar in the United States. Following her time at Iowa Wesleyan College, where she graduated valedictorian, Belle joined her brother’s law firm in an apprenticeship position & then made her case in front of a judge to be permitted to take the bar examination. After passing the bar, the Iowa judge ruled that statutes regarding admission into the legal field were much too male-centric, as Belle had pointed out, & legislative bodies removed the gendered language to open the profession up to women just a year later.

Lyda Burton Conley

Conley was the first-ever Native American female lawyer, admitted to the Missouri State Bar in 1902 & an active member of the Wyandot tribe. She is best known for her tireless defense of the Huron Place Cemetery in Kansas, which served as a burial ground for many of her ancestors.

Mabel Walker Willebrandt

Willebrandt was appointed the first female Assistant Attorney General of the U.S. in 1921, tasked with enforcing Prohibition laws. She was nicknamed “Prohibition Portia” & “Deborah of the Dry.”

Alta Hulett

At age 17, Alta helped to draft legislation in Illinois which would become the nation’s first set of laws regarding anti-sex discrimination in employment situations. It was like Title IX in its infancy!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

How could we not mention RBG? After a long career in women’s rights advocacy & becoming the first woman to join the Harvard Law Review — all while raising her first child — RBG is the second woman ever to sit on the Supreme Court, a key player in the recent legalization of same sex marriage. She remains a beacon of hope for females in the legal field.

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.