Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Fall is, without a doubt, my favorite season for fashion. Fall brings layering, jackets, and boots, but it’s still warm enough to show off your fit without freezing. With this being one of the first seasons I’ve experienced in NYC in a while, I’m so excited to watch the fashion capital thrive with this upcoming season of trends! Here are just a few of the trends I’ve seen popping up that haven’t been discussed enough in my opinion (move over, sweater vests):

Monochrome

Monochrome has been a hot trend for a while, but in the winter, the possibilities for monochrome are endless. There are so many layering opportunities to really make the color palette stand out. A truly head-to-toe monochrome look simply can’t be beaten.

Colored Leather

Leather is a staple for any fall season, but recently colored leather has been popping up everywhere and I personally love it. Of course, a reminder that thrift stores have LOTS of faux leather options and it’s not necessary to always buy brand new from a fast fashion brand, especially when it’s outerwear!!! 

Knee-High Boots

I won’t lie, I was personally very skeptical of this one at first. Something about tall boots that hit right below the knee brought me right back to suburban fall right along with leggings and an American eagle sweater (no shade if that’s your vibe), but I have to say I love the way these boots are being reimagined for a more edgy streetwear look. 

Canadian Tuxedo

This trend has continued to grow on me over the years and with all of the accessibility to thrifted denim, I’m finally diving in whole-heartedly. Especially in the fall in NYC when warmth is the main priority, the Canadian tuxedo couldn’t be more comfortable, or more of a statement. 

SLEEVES

After spending months in lockdown I will take any and every opportunity to show off the best pieces I can find, so now’s the time to show off any funky sleeve: balloon, puff, juliet, bell, whatever your heart desires.

White after Labor Day, YES!

We’ve all heard the rule “no white pants after Labor Day,” but personally, I think that’s absurd. White outfits are incredible for any season and cam actually make a gloomy winter day feel a lot brighter.  In general, white looks super chic, and with the crisp neutrals of fall/winter, it’s even better. 

Pants + Dresses

In the spirit of transparency, I haven’t yet tried this trend for myself, but I LOVE the way it looks on others. It’s such a chic transition from summery prints to the colder weather and any excuse to be able to wear pieces of clothing in unique ways is definitely a plus. If we can be creative with the clothing we already have, we’ll feel a much weaker compulsion to buy what we don’t need! 

Layer with Sheer

Any sheer or mesh addition to your fit adds so much style. While this can be one of the most difficult trends to style, when it’s done right, it blows everything else away. Play around with layering mesh/sheer items over or under the rest of your fit to add an unexpected twist.

There are so many fall trends out there, especially the ~school girl sweater vest~ vibe that’s currently running Pinterest, but these are just a few of the fall trends that I personally can’t wait to see ALL over the place this season, even if we don’t talk about them as much. 

A little shameless promo: @fordhamfashioncollective (IG + YouTube) is a new club on the Fordham campus. This week I’ll be filming a video styling each other these trends from my own wardrobe, so if you want to see them in action, go check us out! 

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Fordham University Rose Hill. I'm double majoring in Sociology and Anthropology with a double minor in Fashion Studies and Latin American Studies. I absolutely love traveling, photography, fashion, NYC, and most importantly: self-care!