The Do’s and Don’ts of Leggings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

When it comes to wearing leggings as pants, there are right ways and wrong ways

DO get a thick (not sheer) pair: a cheap pair of leggings from the local walmart is frankly not the best idea unless you want people to see what color your favorite lacie thong is. American Apparel has every color leggings your lazy ass desires for days when you aren’t in the mood for jeans (….everyday).

DO wear a thong: This really goes unsaid, but I figured I would point it out just in case there was any confusion that undie lines are not cute past the age of around 8.

DON’T confuse work out pants with leggings: This is something that is a common misconception. Work out leggings are usually made from a synthetic material that are specifically made to keep your muscles warm, while still keeping your legs dry. Although your beloved lululemon leggings are adorable, save them to show off at the gym, not around campus.

DO make sure you feel comfortable with pretty much EVERYTHING showing: Make sure to consider your body type when picking out your next pair of leggings. Leggings tend to emphasize the lower body so to add a slimming effect, wear a darker color like black or grey. Ankle-length leggings are awesome for all body types because they make your legs look longer and thinner, and who wouldn’t want that?  Try on a few different pairs and sizes to ensure you feel comfy and confident.

DON’T wear crop tops with leggings: With the exception of Kendall Jenner and Miley Cyrus, crop tops with leggings will not flatter your body. Pair your favorite crop top with high waisted jeans or a skirt for a night out instead!

DON’T ignore comfort: Living in New York, walking around all day is a given. Make a note to pick out a pair that doesn’t give you a camel toe when you’re walking down the street or ride up to give you a wedgie (sorry for the graphics). Leggings might be the best idea ever in terms of comfort, but if you’re constantly adjusting to make sure they’re not riding up, what’s the point of wearing them? 

DO wear printed leggings (in muted tones): Printed leggings are awesome for days when you want to look cute for class, but your favorite top or sweater is in the wash. Throw on a pair of printed leggings with a plain top and some black boots and you’re ready for the day. But be careful not to get a pair that’s too loud: i.e. Unless you’re going to Avicii’s next concert, do not wear galaxy leggings.

DON’T wear moccasins/slippers with leggings: Just don’t do it.  

DO get a pair of fleece leggings for the winter: Fleece leggings are a collegiette’s best friend in the winter months. Not only are you comfortable as you’re trekking to class through the snow, but your legs aren’t numb by the time you get there. Anthropologie has fleece-lined leggings for only $18! Trust me on this, they will change your life.

And last but not least, in the words of Blair Waldorf: “TIGHTS ARE NOT PANTS!” Tights are meant to be worn under dresses or skirts to dress up an outfit or keep your legs a little warmer. Tights are thinner and lighter. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen girls wear tights as pants under a tunic. This is a mistake.

For your best interest (and all of society), pay close attention to details when buying your next pair of leggings.