Dorm Style Tips: Spice Up Your Space!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It’s move-in day, and you have received your keys to your new dorm room.  This will be what you call home for the next ten months, and of course you’re excited.  But, when you open the door the bland white walls and sparse furniture could make anyone depressed.  But fear not Fordham collegiettes, I have a few tips on how to spice up your space.

1. Color Schemes: The dorm room is the first place a girl can unleash her inner interior designer.  Talk to your roommate(s) about the color of their bedding; you use those colors in your own scheme to accent your side.  Accent furniture, like extra drawers that double as a bedside table, or a stepstool storage cube, allow for both extra storage space and for a chance to add a bit of colorful flare. You can find these pieces at stores such as Bed Bath and Beyond or Target. The rug is a great tie-in to the entire room, since it covers both sides.  Use a rug that will match both beddings, as well as the accent furniture to bring the room together.

2. Feng- shui: Maximize space with your furniture. Use the notches on the bedposts to loft your bed to its highest capacity. The extra under-the-bed space clears the room of excess clutter on the floor.  The drawers that come with the room can fit underneath there too! 

3. Add Pictures: Fordham may be your home, but you still have a life and another world outside college, so it’s expected that you’re going to miss your high school friends, parents, pets, etc.  Pictures on your walls are physical reminders of the people you have at home who love you, and are a tiny piece of that life you can bring home with you. Use poster board and glue to place similar pictures together on your walls.  It makes for better organization of the pictures, and easier removal when May finally rolls around!

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.