Wellness

Curing Your “Winter Blues” Through Food: A Brief Guide to Eating Seasonally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As the weather is getting colder and the days darker and shorter, many of us tend to catch the “winter blues” or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). During this time, taking care of our bodies and minds is so important. Giving our bodies the proper nutrition during this time can make a major difference in our mood. Studies actually have shown that eating in season produce can actually help decrease depression and feelings of the “winter blues”.

The food we eat can play a huge role in how we feel, especially during the winter. A lack of the proper nutrients can really decrease your mood and overall functioning. There are a ton of in season produce items that may actually help to decrease feelings of depression. Some of these include: 

• Dark green leafy vegetables such as collard greens, turnip greens, spinach mustard greens
  • Root vegetables: sweet potatoes, carrots, beetroot, parsnips 
  • For a boost of vitamin C and A: oranges, berries, potatoes, apples
  • For an immune boost: elderberries 

This is a non-exhaustive list of the benefits of some of our in season produce right now! Be sure to check out any local farmer’s markets or shops for the best selection! Eating warm foods like soups can also be super nourishing and comforting during this time. Winter can be a tough time for all of us and while eating seasonally and getting all the essential nutrients is great, it may not be the cure all for everyone. Speaking to a licensed professional can be really helpful for providing diagnoses and working through any struggles and finding the best treatment for you individually.

Meg Cardi

Fordham '22

Meg is an Anthropology major part of the Social Work program at Fordham who has a passion for all things regarding sustainability, fashion and food!