A Collegiettes’™ Guide to A New York City Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Any Fordham collegiette™ will be the first to tell you there is much truth to the saying: New York is my campus, Fordham is my school. With Manhattan just a Subway/Ram Van/Metro North ride away, it’s no wonder that collegiettes™ are constantly traveling downtown. Now that it’s the holiday season, we collegiettes™ have even more reasons to put down our books and head down to the city that never sleeps. Here are some NYC activities that can help you escape from finals and enjoy the holiday season:  

Visit Little Italy
While we Fordham collegiettes™ are lucky enough to live right next to Arthur Ave and have year-round access to the Little Italy of the Bronx, we should definitely grab some friends and travel down to Mulberry Street. Mulberry Street has it all: festive holiday decorations, fun shops, and delicious Italian food. One quick trip to Mulberry Street is all that’s needed to get you into the holiday spirit.

Try Ice Skating
Ever walk by Rockefeller Plaza and see tons of people ice-skating and think, “I can do that.” Well, now you can. Get into the holiday mood by heading down to Rockefeller center and showing your ice-skating skills. Just be sure to dress appropriately and bring socks for your ice skates. If you want to ice-skate somewhere quieter and cheaper, head to Bryant Park and ice-skate to your heart’s content.

See a Light Display
Are the holiday lights in your dorm room just not doing it for you? Do you dream of seeing thousands of lights flash in different colors? If so, you are in luck. There are tons of light displays throughout Manhattan during the holiday season. Be sure to watch the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting and channel your inner tourist by taking pictures next to the tree. If you can’t make it to the Rockefeller Tree Lighting or if you just love watching light displays (it’s okay, we won’t judge) you can also head down to the Bryant Park Tree Lighting or the Lightning of the World’s largest Hanukkah Menorah.

Buy tickets to a Holiday Show
Since you’re already in the city, take advantage of the full offering of New York City performances and buy a pair of tickets to see some timeless holiday classics such as the Radio City Rockettess or the New York City’s Ballet’s Nutcracker. Collegiettes™, try to go to a show as a reward for studying for finals or to celebrate the end of a successful and fun semester.

Walk In Central Park
Take the Ram Van down to Lincoln Center and head on over to central park. Word of advice: try to go before it gets too cold, since the wind-chill in Manhattan can be rough. However, if you’re willing to brave the cold, try going to Central Park when it’s snowing or right after it snowed so you can go sledding down Pilgrim Hill. 

Go Shopping
Kill two birds with one stone by going shopping in Manhattan. Not only will you be able to buy all your friends and family holiday presents but you will also be able to see the ornate window displays in stores such as Barneys and FEO Schwartz. If you really want the NYC shopping experience, take the train down to Macy’s Herald Square and shop at the world’s largest Macy’s.

Columbus Circle

Okay, so maybe you want to head down to Manhattan and really want to go shopping and have dinner but do not (I repeat, do not) want to walk around in the cold. Or, maybe you’re running out of time and want to get your holiday fix in one shot. If that’s the case, just take the Ram Van down to Lincoln Center and go to the Shops at Columbus Circle. This mall has it all: light displays, fabulous shops (don’t forget, students get a 15% discount at J. Crew!), and delicious food. Before heading back to campus, be sure to stop by a Starbucks to warm up and get a drink in their signature holiday themed cups.

Fordham collegiettes™: given that New York is our campus, it’s basically a right of passage that we explore it, right? Right. So, grab some friends and explore the wonder that is New York City during the holiday season. Happy Holidays, Collegiettes™! 

Sara Shahmiri is a senior Economics major and a philosophy and business double minor in the Fordham College Honors Program at Fordham University. On campus, Sara is a senior member of the United Student Government Budget Committee, Fordham College President of the Pre-Law Society, and a New Student Orientation Captain. She is also a legal intern at a non-profit in the Bronx. While in college, Sara published her first novel, Rumors, which chronicles the adventures of four high school students who must juggle the responsibility of their academic and social lives. Sara has been writing for Hercampus.com since the fall of 2011 and absolutely loves working with the Her Campus Team!
Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.