Chief Executive Resident Maria Buck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Did you dance for 12 hours for the B+ Foundation, or partied the night away last year Under the Tent? Then you have seen a lot of Maria Buck’s hard work in action.  As Chief Executive Officer of the Residence Halls Association, Maria is in charge of the second biggest programming board on the Rose Hill campus, and works with ResLife to advocate for residents concerns.    

Where are you from? Marlton, NJ

What year are you? Senior :(

What is your major? Psychology

What are you involved in on campus?  Lol. Residence Halls Association, Fordham Nightly News, Fordham Mornings, New Student Orientation, and at one point I was a Senior Week volunteer.

Tell us about FDM: all the planning, the day of, what was going through your head? The planning was extensive, we had so many more people working on the event and therefore a lot more that was happening. The RHA General boards were crucial in raising money through in hall programming, they did an amazing job. The day of was amazing, I just couldn’t help but constantly be smiling and amazed at how many people came out to support this great cause.

What other events does RHA have coming up that you can dish on? Well, we have our auction on March 3rd with some amazing raffles and live auction items, it’s in Mcginley second from 7:30pm to 10pm. And then the culmination of our entire year, Under the Tent the Saturday night of spring weekend. Theme to be revealed soon!

How did you decide to come to Fordham? It was the further college away from home that I applied to. i liked the idea of “conquering” New York during college.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships?  A to do list! Also keep up with your readings and homework, it helps when you’re cramming for that test you forgot to study for.

What’s your favorite thing about New York?  There is always something new to do or find.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory?  Freshman year my roommates and the girls who lived next door (who I still refer to as my room mates though they weren’t) went to the city at Christmas time and took pictures and got dinner. It was lot of fun and we have some pretty funny pictures.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Statue of Liberty, top of the Empire State Building, and top of the rock.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Probably under the tent last year I was severely sleep deprived and not allowed to leave the entrance area of the tent but it was still so much fun. Our board has a lot of inside jokes from any eboard event, but that one definitely takes the cake.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?  The one I’m currently sitting in actually, computers and robots in film.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?  Anything to do with the language French.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus?  My bed. I miss it very much when I’m only home to sleep.

What’s your dream job?  To be a producer on a comedy or drama tv series.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is?  You’re exposed to different subjects and ways of thinking you would never get at any other school.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you?  I’m a huge science nerd but also love disney princesses. Oh and I have a tattoo.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botans

Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille? Definitely the caf, I’ve closed that place down more times than I’m proud of.

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Pretty sure I bought a club lib outfit at conways last year.

RamVan or Subway? Ram van, especially when the driver plays country music.

Met or MoMA? Only been to the MoMA

Hot Dog or Bagel? Both. Always.

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway, except at Christmas time

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Radio city

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park 

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.