Style

A Busy Girl’s Guide to Fall Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Fall is finally here! The new school year is in full swing, and the cool weather is slowly creeping up on us whether we want to admit it or not. As our alarm clocks buzz, we snuggle under the covers for a few more minutes of warmth and comfort before our dreaded 8 AM. When we finally emerge from bed, later than we intended, we have to quickly scramble to get dressed for class. This time of year can be tricky when deciding on what to wear. This in-between weather can make for some challenging wardrobe choices, especially when you’re rushing out the door. Despite popular belief, it is possible to put together a cute outfit while still savoring those few minutes under the covers. Here are a few tips that will help you pull off a fashionable fall outfit in no time at all:

TIP #1: Stick to neutrals

Basics are key. By sticking to neutrals, you are ensuring that everything in your closet goes together. It’s the secret recipe that will allow you to get dressed 5 minutes before class and show up looking put-together. Black, white, camel, cream- these basic pieces can be worn over and over again, and styled in a variety of ways.

Madewell             Madewell        

TIP #2: Layers

Layering clothing is HUGE in the fall, especially with the fluctuating weather. Adding layers brings dimension to an outfit. If you have on leggings and a tee-shirt, try adding a chunky cardigan over it to give your outfit an effortless fall-inspired look. And trust us when we say red IS a neutral.

Nordstrom             Pacsun            Nordstrom

TIP #3: Jackets

Jackets are transformational. Whether its a denim jacket, a statement jacket, an army jacket, or (what I am obsessing over at the moment) a corduroy jacket, it’s so easy to throw one of these on over jeans and a tee-shirt and head to class. They’re also great for providing warmth on those colder fall days.

Topshop        Forloveandlemons         Pacsun

TIP #4: Leggings over everything

Admit it, we all look forward to wearing black leggings in the fall. They go with practically EVERYTHING- sweatshirts, sweaters, you name it. Aside from their versatility, leggings are super comfortable which make them a cold weather staple. Try amping up your legging style this fall with these suggestions:

-leggings and a cropped hoodie

-leggings, a crop top with an oversized denim jacket

-faux leather leggings and booties for a comfortable day-to-night look

Lululemon            Nordstrom

TIP #5: Boots

Fall’s in-between weather is perfect for transitioning your summer clothes to cooler weather. Create a more fall-friendly look by throwing on a pair of boots with a dress or skirt. Your legs will be kept warm, but not burning. If your going for a more cozier look, try adding long socks under your boots.

*Pair your favorite booties with a cute plaid skirt, for an effortless campus look. Plaid skirts and booties are on trend with all the top designers.

Nordstrom              Nordstrom

TIP # 6: Leather tote bag

There’s just something about the cool nature of fall that makes me want to bring out my leather tote. Totes are the perfect fall accessory because they are both cute and functionable. Get too hot? Take your jacket off and throw it in your tote! You can even switch out your old Jansport for a tote when going to class to up your style game.

Nordstrom              Nordstrom

We would LOVE to see your fall style! Tag us in your pictures @hercampusfordham !