This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts

School/Year: FCRH ’17

Major: American Studies and Music 

1) You just presented your thesis, what was it about? My senior American Studies thesis is about how the meanings and functions of the rainbow pride flag have changed since its inception in 1978. I’ve found that the flag was fashioned out of a specific political/social climate in San Francisco for a specific gay imagined community, and once the flag was removed from that context and used in others it took on an array of different interpretations and uses. We’re often inclined to believe that the flag represents all LGBTQ people, when in actuality, for whom the flag flies is not so clear-cut. I have to stop there because I could honestly talk about this all day.

2) Tell us about what being music director of the Hot Notes is like: No lie, it’s a lot of work. A lot of hours go into making sure every arrangement is just the way it needs to be, getting our blend and dynamics just right, and helping manage the behind-the-scenes business of it all. But it never actually feels like work. The Hot Notes are such a fun and easy group of people to sing with, and I enjoy every minute of every rehearsal. 

3) What’s your favorite memory with the Hot Notes? Probably taking 2nd place at our ICCA quarterfinal last year and performing at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia for semifinals. It just felt so amazing to be finally recognized and rewarded for all the hard work we had done. I think it’s a testament to how far we’ve come as a group since my very first semester. Singing on that beautiful stage with some of my closest friends was an experience I’ll never forget. 

4) What’s your favorite song that you’ve arranged & why? I love to surprise people with my arrangements by putting twists on them and interpreting songs from fresh perspectives. I think “Sorry” by Beyonce and “679” by Fetty Wap are the most creative arrangements I’ve done so far. And they’re so fun to sing! But I think “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley means the most to me. It was my Nana’s favorite song and I arranged it as a tribute to her. 

5) If you had to have a drastically different hairstyle, what would you choose? I’ve secretly been wanting to bleach and dye my hair that silver/purple color for a while now. It probably won’t happen though. Sorry ’bout it. 

6) If you had a song play every time you walked somewhere, what would it be? “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence [insert skull emoji x3]

7) What cheesy pick-up line always makes you laugh? Wait, do people actually use pick-up lines? Uh, probably “It’s a good thing I have my library card, because I am totally checking you out” (thanks Google search). I’d genuinely appreciate if someone used that one on me. 

8) If you could pick 3 celebrities to be your entourage, who would they be? Ellen DeGeneres because I worship the ground she walks on. Billy Eichner because I would basically be him if I had less of a filter than I already do. And Jeffrey Dean Morgan because reasons.  

(source)

9) If you had paparazzi following you everywhere, what would be your signature pose? Stare blankly as I sip my Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee.

10) What’s your guilty pleasure? I really enjoy those stupid fail compilation videos on YouTube. Once I start I can’t stop because I’m an evil cat on the inside. 

11) What is your favorite thing about Fordham? Everything from the unique opportunities this city has afforded me to the friends I’ll have for life. Looking back now, I made the perfect decision to come here. 

12) Do you have any advice for your fellow Rams? If you’re up at 3:30 in the morning and contemplating whether or not to get Pugsley’s/Best, the answer is always yes. Can’t say the same for White Castle. 

Lauren is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a degree in Journalism and Political Science. With a career goal of being a broadcast journalist, she is spending time interning at networks such as NBC and FOX. Hobbies include writing for Her Campus and singing in Fordham's all-female a cappella group, the Satin Dolls, as well as drinking too much coffee, listening to far too many boy bands, and watching Buzzfeed Tasty videos one after another.