This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Perhaps I took the phrase ‘break a leg’ a bit too literally. Fracturing my leg at the beginning of the semester initially seemed like anything but good luck. 

I kept on questioning why this would happen to me and what I did to deserve this. No matter how much I tried to distract myself, these types of thoughts permeated the forefront of my mind, rendering them inescapable.  

I couldn’t fathom how misplanting my foot resulted in losing control of my life. Overwhelmed, I didn’t know whether I would be able to manage responsibilities on campus, experience senior year with my friends, or even graduate in the spring. It felt like everything that I was working towards was slipping away all because of a singular moment. 

Recovering from surgery at home, I began grieving the expectations I had for this year and accepting my new reality. Acknowledging that the coming months would look different compared to what I had originally envisioned, I started to grant myself patience and leniency. Refusing to spend any more time fixated on how unfair life can be, I welcomed the possibility of going back to school and making the most of my fleeting college days.  

Reflecting on what I can learn from this experience and what life is trying to teach me, I realized that I am stronger and more capable than I thought. I will eventually land on my two feet. With my crutches in hand, I devised a plan so that I could return to some semblance of normalcy. As I communicated with my friends, family, professors, and university administrators, I understood the power of letting people in and asking for help.   

Almost halfway done with the fall semester, I am forever thankful to have a support system and to be surrounded by people who care about me and want to see me succeed. I appreciate my friends as well as my roommates for helping me up the stairs, public safety for driving me to and from class, the professors that check in on me, my parents for taking me to all of my doctor’s appointments, and all of the strangers for holding the door open for me. 

While I may never classify fracturing my leg as good luck, I cannot discount the glimmerings of positivity that transcended an unfortunate incident. My experience led me to express more kindness towards myself, recognize the importance of self-advocacy, and possess immense gratitude for all the people in my life.

Hi everyone! I'm double majoring in Psychology and Anthropology as well as minoring in Bioethics at Fordham. I am very passionate about mental health awareness.