Black History Month: A Collection of Quotes from Civil Rights Activists

Black History Month is a month dedicated to the remembrance of the stories of resilience and individuals who advocated for equal rights for African-Americans. It’s also a time to reflect on the accomplishments of African-Americans and how their words can motivate us to follow in their footsteps. Many activists have said empowering things with some of my favorite below: 

• “You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right." - Rosa Parks 

• “History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.” - Maya Angelou 

• “If you fall behind, run faster. Never give up, never surrender, and rise up against the odds.” - Jesse Jackson

• “Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” - Coretta Scott King

• “The time is always right to do what is right.” - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

• “Every time you state what you want or believe, you’re the first to hear it. It’s a message to both you and others about what you think is possible. Don’t put a ceiling on yourself.” - Oprah Winfrey

• “I am lucky that whatever fear I have inside me, my desire to win is always stronger.” - Serena Williams

• “If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.” - Toni Morrison

• “There are still many causes worth sacrificing for, so much history yet to be made.” - Michelle Obama

• “If you don’t have confidence, you’ll always find a way not to win.” - Carl Lewis