Best Red Carpet Looks of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It would be an understatement to say 2018 has not disappointed in serving us all of the red carpet realness. From politically-charged statements to jaw-dropping silhouettes, celebrities did not shy away from taking risks. We saw inspired looks at every ceremony from the SAG Awards to the Grammy’s and everything in between. To round out awards season, I’ve pulled a variety of looks that I personally feel were slept on, as media coverage circulated the same big-name shortlists for each show. They are in no particular order, and definitely should not be forgotten. 

Golden Globes 2018

Held on January 7, 2018, the Golden Globes were the first major show of the awards season. In conjunction with the Time’s Up movement, celebrities stepped out in black to show solidarity with the cause. Many wondered if this would make for a boring carpet, but the looks proved it was anything but. 

Emilia Clarke

At this year’s Golden Globes, Emilia Clarke (Mother of Dragons, et. al.) turned heads in a form-fitting Miu Miu gown and her Khaleesi-inspired bleach blonde hair. 

(Photo via ELLE)

Sarah Jessica Parker

Just know, any time I make a ‘not appreciated enough’ list, SJP is going to be on it. My personal hero rarely does wrong on the red carpet, and this tea-length Dolce & Gabbana look is no different. 

(Photo via ELLE) 

Kerry Washington 

Kerry Washington stunned in this sequined Prabal Gurung number, but her shoes are really what did it for me. The embellished booties from Roger Vivier added a high fashion edge to her otherwise (nearly) jewelry-free look. 

(Photo via ELLE) 

Saoirse Ronan

Saoirse Ronan always attracts attention, but this Atelier Versace gown paired with her bleached locks cemented her position as a true Fashion Girl™. 

(Photo via ELLE)

Issa Rae

The Insecure star brought the drama in this gorgeous Prabal Gurung gown. From the emerald necklace to the sweeping train, Issa really knocked this one out of the park. 

(Photo via ELLE) 

Susan Kelechi Watson

This Is Us fan-favorite, Susan Kelechi Watson, rocked a bold sequin jumpsuit on the Golden Globes red carpet. The jumpsuit by Monsoori fit her perfectly, and challenged the idea that a dress is the only way to rock a red carpet. 

(Photo via ELLE)

Grammy Awards 2018

Held at New York’s Madison Square Garden on January 28, The Grammy Awards had their fair share of red carpet moments. Like the Golden Globes, attendees donned white outfits to support victims of sexual assault, specifically Kesha who performed later that night. 

SZA 

Five-time nominee SZA looked ethereal in her sheer white Atelier Versace gown. 

(Photo via The Cut)

Donald Glover

Anywhere Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) goes, he is always killing it. The Atlanta star paired his all-white Giorgio Armani tux with a pair of black loafers that added an extra bit of cool to his look. 

(Photo via Harper’s Bazaar) 

Ne-Yo

Okay, don’t even @ me right now. Ne-Yo is always going to be relevant. This marigold-colored velvet jacket alone would make this look a 10/10 for me, but add the white rose for solidarity and a sick hat? I’m sold. 

(Photo via E!) 

Lana Del Rey

Our celestial mother rocked a look inspired by a 1940s movie star, and really stood out on the carpet. We love a Gucci queen. 

(Photo via Billboard)

Lorde

Someone I don’t think got nearly enough recognition from the Grammy’s this year was Lorde. She was the only album of the year nominee to not be asked to perform solo, and in turn did not perform at all. It is important to note that the other nominees were men, and all had the opportunity to take to the stage on their own. Skipping the red carpet as well, Lorde’s dress did not get a lot of coverage, but it is so worth remembering. The bold red Valentino gown complete with spaghetti straps and a textured skirt had a personal touch of Lorde’s own. The singer attached a popular poem by Jenny Holzer to the back of her gown which read: “Rejoice! Our times are intolerable. Take courage, for the worst is a harbinger of the best. Only dire circumstances can precipitate the overthrow of oppressors. The old and corrupt must be laid to waste before the just can triumph. Contradiction will be heightened. The reckoning will be hastened by the staging of seed disturbances. The apocalypse will blossom.”

(Photo via Harper’s Bazaar) 

Screen Actors Guild Awards

Held in Los Angeles on January 21, the Screen Actors Guild Awards showcased a variety of nominees from across film and television. Some of the big winners of the night were This Is Us, Big Little Lies, and Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri. 

Millie Bobbie Brown

Stranger Things sweetheart Millie Bobbie Brown turned out some serious looks this awards season. Personally, I feel very protective of her youth and think that sometimes dressing her in couture makes it seem like she is a lot older than she really is, so to see her fresh-faced in this adorable Calvin Klein by Appointment was a joy. From the ribbons in her hair to her teeny little Converse, it was such a good moment for her. 

(Photo via Harper’s Bazaar)

Mandy Moore

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again: Mandy Moore is an icon. She’s starred in so many of our favorites, and continues to stun (even when she’s in old makeup on This Is Us). This pop of blue by Ralph Lauren suited her skin tone and beauty look so well. Matching with both her This Is Us co-stars, Chrissy Metz and Susan Kelechi Watson made the moment that much sweeter. 

(Photo via Harper’s Bazaar)

Yara Shahidi

Also in Ralph Lauren, Yara Shahidi of Blackish and now Grownish fame, looked youthful in this dramatic black pantsuit. The train alone was jaw-dropping, but so was her beauty look. The red lip is sophisticated, and her natural hair took the look to a whole new level of glam. 

(Photo via Harper’s Bazaar)

Natalia Dyer 

Known for her role as Nancy Wheeler on Stranger Things, Natalia Dyer looked out of this world in this astrological Dior Couture gown. I think it suited her age well, and really stood out as something unique on the SAG Awards red carpet. 

(Photo via Harper’s Bazaar) 

Brit Awards

A Brit Award is a–wait for it–British music award that is highly sought after by UK and Europe-based acts. This year’s ceremony was held on January 21 in London’s O2 Arena. Attendees wore white flowers to the event to show solidarity to both #TimesUp and #MeToo. 

HAIM 

The American band of sisters used baby’s breath flowers as hair accessories to complement their signature bohemian frocks. They are known for their eccentric style, and these looks are no different. I love how well they coordinate together, but also look great on their own. 

(Photo via InStyle)

Dua Lipa

The reigning queen of Instagram and breakup anthems took home some of the major awards of the night–including British Breakthrough Act and British Female Solo Artist. Another thing she won? The red carpet. This baby pink princess gown by Giambattista Valli is the definition of femininity. Its layers upon layers of cotton candy-colored tulle tied with a bow reclaim the power of being a powerful woman, and that is exactly what Dua Lipa stands for. 

(Photo via Billboard)

Troye Sivan

Ultimate babe Troye Sivan put a twist on the traditional suit jacket and opted for one of the leather variety. Belted at the waist, the jacket is super-cool and shows off Troye’s personal style. He isn’t afraid to experiment, and really pulled it off with this ensemble. 

(Photo via Billboard)

Adwoa Aboah

The gorgeous Adwoa Aboah stood tall in this Sonia Rykiel feathered gown at this year’s Brit Awards. I love how simple her makeup look is, and the way the feathers frame her structured face. 

(Photo via InStyle)

Academy Awards

Although this year’s Oscars (held on March 4) are fresh in our memory, there are obviously some looks that will soon become iconic. There was no ‘dress code’ for #MeToo or #TimesUp, but definitely still plenty of statements being made on the red carpet. 

Lupita Nyong’o

Talk about iconic. In years past, Lupita has blessed us with a Tiffany blue Prada gown and one adorned with pearls, but this Black Panther-inspired moment is Peak Lupita™. The warrior goddess gown was designed by the fashion warrior herself–Donatella Versace–and fits Lupita perfectly. 

Armie Hammer

Call Me By Your Name hottie Armie Hammer turned it out in a maroon velvet suit that is a major step up from the velour tracksuits he’s been sporting all over Instagram. His choice (read: his stylist’s choice) of the crisp white shirt and black bow tie look elegant and sophisticated…just like all of that old money he comes from. 

(Photo via People) 

Allison Janney

Janney, who took home an Oscar for her role in I, Tonya, is not the first person you think of when you think of fashion. This Reem Acra dress, however, made a huge splash on the red carpet for its dramatic sleeves and perfect fit. 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.