A Beginner’s Guide to the NYC Holiday Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

December is upon us and Christmas is just around the corner. For those of you who didn’t purchase all of your gifts on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, or are just looking to get into the festive spirit, New York City holds some of the best holiday pop up markets from late November up until Christmas day. Whether you’re looking to buy a gift for your boyfriend, your brother, or you just want to pick up a fun holiday decoration for your dorm, you’ll surely find something at one of these markets straight from every Christmas lover’s dreams

1. Union Square Holiday Market

Open from: November 19-December 24, Monday-Friday 11AM-8PM, Saturday 10AM-8PM, Sunday 11AM-7PM

Where: Union Square at 14th Street

What to expect: Small vendor booths will be selling everything from handmade jewelry to knitted scarves, gloves, and hats to freshly made holiday food and drinks!

2. Grand Central Holiday Fair

Open from: November 14-December 24, Monday-Saturday 10AM-8PM, Sunday 11AM-7PM

Where: Grand Central Terminal, Vanderbilt Hall, 15 Vanderbilt Ave. (42nd St and Park Ave.)

What to expect: The only indoor holiday market in the city offers every type of gift you could need. Home goods, vintage collectibles, and clothing are just a few of the items the fair has to offer!

3. Holiday Shops at Bryant Park’s Winter Village

Open from: October 30-January 3, Monday-Friday 11AM-8PM, Saturday 10AM-9PM, Sunday 10AM-6PM

Where: Bryant Park, 40th to 42nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue

What to expect: Over 125 boutique stores selling clothing, decorations, jewelry, local foods, and much more. You can take a break from shopping and go skating on the Winter Village’s rink, as well.

4. Columbus Circle Holiday Market

Open from: December 1-December 24, Monday-Saturday 10AM-8PM, Sunday 10AM-7PM

Where: West 59th Street and Broadway

What to expect: Vendors offering everything festive, from premade gingerbread houses to handmade gifts that are sure to wow whoever receives them. The market offers plenty of meals and snacks to replenish you after a long day of shopping, too!

5. Brooklyn Flea/Smorgasburg Holiday Market

Open from: Year round, Saturdays and Sundays 10AM-6PM

Where: 1000 Dean (between Classon and Franklin), Brooklyn

What to expect: The year round market moves indoors during the holiday season and offers over 100 vintage and antique vendors alongside 25 food vendors. The vendors rotate so you’ll find never items each day!

6. Bust Magazine Holiday Crafttacular and Food Fair

Open from: December 19-20, 11AM-7PM

Where: Brooklyn Expo Center, 79 Franklin Street, Greenpoint, Brooklyn

What to expect: The two-day market will offer over 200 vendors selling homemade food and handmade gifts. It is open for a very limited time, so get there quickly!

7. Astoria Market

Open from: December 6, 13, and 20, 12PM-6PM

Where: Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden, 29-19 24th Avenue between 29th and 31st Streets, Queens

What to expect: This market is a haven for all things vintage and handmade. From fresh baked goods to antique decorations, this pop up market is bound to have plenty of amazing gifts.

It doesn’t matter if you’re doing some last minute shopping in between finals or treating yourself to some amazing (non-Sodexo) festive treats. New York City holds some of the greatest markets for everything you need this holiday season.

Kate is a sophomore at Fordham University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Computer Science. She hopes to someday make watching reality TV, reading tabloids, and scrolling through social media a career as a pop culture journalist. As a New Jersey native, she appreciates great pizza, bagels, and beaches, but she loves everything New York City has to offer even more.