On The Beat with Sam Wicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I was once asked: “Who’s that dude beatboxing who looks like Macklemore you were just talking to?” No joke.  I laughed and responded, “Sam Wicks!”  Sam’s a Rambler, but his primary talent as a member of the group isn’t singing.  He can beat box, better than some professionals (at least in my opinion).  The Ramblers Spring Concert is this Friday, April 25th, right before the first Spring Weekend event, DJ Enferno. Go and meet Sam and the other Ramblers who we here at Her Campus Fordham adore and have featured before. You won’t be disappointed. 

Where are you from? Scituate, MA (specifically Minot)

What year are you? Senior…yikes.

What is your major? Environmental Science with a Biology/Spanish double minor

What activities are you involved inThe Ramblers, which takes up just about all of my time. And I did NSO this past year. That was terrific.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? I didn’t even know Fordham existed when I was applying to schools, but after getting countless emails I decided to check out the campus. Father McShane talked about the Yankees and that combined with the amazing campus had me sold.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? When in doubt about joining something, do it. It’s definitely better to get involved and realize you need to drop a club then to not join any because it seems like too much.

What’s your favorite thing about New York? Coming back up to street level after being on the subway. Looking up, seeing all the people and the tall buildings, and knowing that I’m walking through one of the most iconic places in the world continues to make me smile after four years.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? I went ice skating in Bryant Park around Christmastime last year. There was food and everyone was happy because of the holidays. That was good time.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Eat more.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? This interview is a lot harder than I expected it to be. Being an NSO leader last year was pretty top-notch. But honestly I had a phenomenal four years here so all of it? Does that count?

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? It’s a tie between Diversity of the American Family and Conservation: Law and Policy. But if I had to pick, I’d give the edge to Conservation.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Mathematical modeling was pretty terrible. Turns out that remembering algebra was pretty crucial to doing well in that class…

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? I have a weird interest in fountains. Whenever I see one I stop what I’m doing and look at it. So when it’s not full of flowers, the fountain.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Go to Fordham related events, whether it’s seeing a performance group, or going to a game or a lecture, or whatever. Fordham has a lot going on and people should be aware of what their school offers. And they should be proud of that.

What’s your dream job? I’ve wanted to be a marine biologist and save the coral reefs since the third grade. Combining that with creative writing would be neat.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? The exposure to different courses. I really value the idea that students should be well rounded and experienced in different areas because that’s the only way to figure out what you actually are interested in. Also, I really like the whole idea of AMDG. That’s a cool thing.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Dr. Orit Avishai. I only took her class because it satisfied four Core requirements, but it turned out to be excellent. She’s terrific, supportive and welcoming and genuinely interested in what she’s teaching.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? People are usually pretty surprised to find out that I have a tattoo…

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? The Zoo. Giraffes and ducks: enough said.

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille for food, Café for amount of food

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Dr. Jay’s

RamVan or Subway? Subway

Met or MoMA?  Met

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel. No one should say hot dog to this question.

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? MSG

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.