This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.
Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - Find & Share on GIPHY
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon via GIPHY

Being on Accutane (Isotretinoin) is arguably one of the worst things in the world, and I wish I were exaggerating. If you have struggled with moderate to severe acne, you’ll have a chill go down your spine just by hearing the word “Accutane.” The achy back and knees, the cracked skin in the corners of my mouth, and the fact that fake tan will not stick to my face are certainly not what I look forward to each and every day, but the results have proved to be absolutely worth it. Since I’m in my fifth month of treatment, I’ve devised the perfect routine. Here’s my survival guide for everything you need to use while on Accutane.

keep the cleanser simple!

Listen, I have never been one for using the most basic skincare products on the market, but since I’ve been on Accutane, I’ve realized that keeping it simple is the ultimate best practice. Washing your face in the morning can strip your face of natural oils if you use harsh products. Since Accutane blocks your skin from oil production, you need to preserve your skin’s natural barrier without over-exfoliation and other harsh chemicals. CeraVe and Cetaphil are my go-to’s in the AM and PM for cleansing. 

hydrate from the inside out

To keep your skin glowing, you have to stay hydrated. Because Accutane is such an intense medication, you will definitely feel all the less-than-glamorous side effects, but luckily, you can combat them by staying as hydrated as possible! A great rule of thumb for water intake is dividing your weight in half; that number equates to how many fluid ounces you should be drinking every day! I know, sometimes staying hydrated isn’t always the first thing on our minds day to day, but having a water bottle (even better, one with a straw lid!) really helps me stay motivated. I’ve been loyal to my 32oz Hydroflask for ages, and I try to refill at least twice a day.

serums are key

I adore using serums in the AM and PM to give my skin that extra boost it needs. Be sure to stay away from any AHA or BHA solutions, as well as anything containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide as they’ll irritate your skin on Accutane. I always reach for my niacinamide serum and my hyaluronic acid when I feel like my skin needs some extra love.

one word: moisturize.

Obviously, a good moisturizer makes all the difference in a normal skincare routine, but the right moisturizer on Accutane makes all the difference during treatment. The Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream is an absolute must-have. While it protects and restrengthens your skin barrier, it’s gentle enough to use every single day without leaving a greasy feeling, meaning it’s a great pre-makeup moisturizer!

On the days your skin really needs a little more love, be sure to try the Weleda Skin Food Ultra Rich Cream. This one is definitely a bit greasier and heavier, so I’ll opt for my Skin Food as my final PM skincare layer. Plus, it smells great!

Another great option for an everyday moisturizer is the Pyunkang Yul Intensive Repair Cream. This moisturizer is such a great source of hydration, especially right after washing your face. It leaves your skin feeling silky smooth, and it’s the perfect balance of hydration while still being a lighter moisturizer.

And don’t forget about the lips!

No matter what you do, your lips will probably always be chapped. I’ve found that exfoliating my lips a few times a week with a clean face cloth or a silicone exfoliator gets rid of all the dead skin on my lips without being too abrasive. After exfoliation, be sure to pucker up with a thick and hydrating balm like Aquaphor or Carmex. I find that Carmex works a bit better on my lips, but everyone is different!

Accutane is certainly not a walk in the park, and it takes a tremendous amount of mental and physical effort while on treatment. Remember to stay kind to your body and to devise a plan that works for you. The results will be worth it, just hang in there!

hey, i'm liv! i'm a junior at fordham university where i'm double majoring in journalism and digital technology & emerging media. i'm a lover of hot sauce, i'm an avid crocheter, and i'm the winner of the 2nd grade spelling bee...