8 Valentine’s Day Date Spots in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Whether it’s eating out at a romantic restaurant, ice skating hand-in-hand, or walking through a forest full of flowers, you’ll be sure to make your date swoon with these amazing ideas.

~ Romantically Delicious Food Venues ~

1. The Loeb Boathouse Lakeside Restaurant

Looking to take it upscale and bring that special someone to the most romantic dining experience in New York City?  Then look no further and make reservations to the classic Loeb Boathouse, which happens to be settled on the lake in the middle of Central Park.  The beautiful location and magical atmosphere is even better than it appears in the movies.  It will definitely rank in your top most memorable date spots.  There is no place more picturesque in New York City that offers this dream-like setting…sparks will be sure to fly.

2. A Taste of Magic

Bring a little “magic” to your date this Valentine’s Day by booking two tickets for A Taste of Magic, typically known as the “Benihana” of magic shows.  It combines two of the most crucial things people look for in a date: fine ding and charming entertainment.  A Taste of Magic sets its performances at world-renowned restaurants around NYC.  Their Valentine’s Day Special will be at Gossip Restaurant, a cozy, fireplace-equipped Irish pub.  While enjoying a delicious meal of your choice included in your ticket purchase, a mysterious series of illusions will be performed right before your eyes.  The atmosphere is fun and exciting with cabaret style seating given by the venue upon arrival.  Book your tickets now at http://www.atasteofmagicnyc.com for an enchanting experience like no other!

3. Black Tap

A sweet way to win over your date’s heart is treating them for dessert.  Currently New York City’s latest dessert craze, Black Tap is known for their novelty milkshakes.  Creative gourmet burgers and modern sides are also served in this casual, trendy restaurant that always has lines out the door.  The rich, sugary milkshakes are enormously sized so you may need to split one between the two of you…or not!  However, you must mentally prepare yourself for the long wait to be seated – consider yourself lucky if you get in within an hour.  Most people end up waiting outside in the freezing cold for about 2 to 3 hours…that’s one way to put your relationship to the test!

~ Fun Outdoorsy Activities ~

4. The Golf Club at Chelsea Piers

Get sporty and competitive by bringing your date to the multi-level driving range at Chelsea Piers.  The scenic range is located on the Hudson River pier with incredible views.  From February 11-14 there will be a Sweetheart Special where you can receive two club rentals and hit unlimited balls for up to an hour (all for $30).  So swing by the golf club if you’re looking for a more active, fun activity this Valentine’s Day!

5. The Rink At Rockefeller Center or Bryant Park

Even if it is your first time ice-skating, you and your date will definitely share some great laughs and falls at the rink in Rockefeller Center or Bryant Park.  With the rink so slippery and cold, you’ll just have to link arms or hold hands to keep from tumbling over.  If you go ice-skating at the rink in Bryant Park, be sure to go to Celsius after, a two-story restaurant that overlooks the rink with spectacular views of the park.  Featuring glass-enclosed lounges and an outdoor terrace with heat lamps, it is the perfect place to chill inside and grab a bite to eat after a long day of skating and walking around the city.  The rink at Rockefeller Center is also offering a Valentine’s VIP Skate and Brunch/Dinner at their famous Rock Center Café for a great value.  Take advantage of the free refreshments and grab some hot chocolate or coffee for you and your sweetheart!

~ Being one (or two) with nature ~

6. The High Line

This elevated park is one of Manhattan’s most popular date destinations, and it’s easy to see why.  The High Line is a public park built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side.  Its urbanite playground is planted with wildflowers and grasses and offers visitors a panorama of the bustle down below of the city.  Many art installations line the rusty rails and walkways of New York City’s park in the sky – you and your date will be on top of the world.

7. The Bronx Zoo

Take on a nature-orientated date by going for a walk in the wild and exploring the great land of animal kingdom.  Get a pic with the monkeys or take a stroll through exhibits such as Madagascar, Jungleworld, Tiger Mountain, Congo Gorilla Forest, and so much more.  You can even feed the penguins and sea lions together!  End your date by entering into the great outdoors with the Wild Asia Monorail, a twenty-minute ride in the sky that gives you the perfect bird’s eye view of the best exhibits, as well as the Bronx River.   

8. The New York Botanical Garden

Forget a dozen roses, how about taking her (or him) to a whole forest full of flowers instead?!  There’s nothing more romantic than strolling hand-in-hand through a garden full of beautiful flowers.  A hidden gem in the Bronx, The New York Botanical Garden offers Valentine’s Day tours in their historic Enid A. Haupt Conservatory.  Inside, you’ll discover Tropical Paradise, a serene and sultry escape from the winter chill.  The tour will center upon plants that are notorious for their love-inducing qualities and will include delectable chocolates. <<< more reason to go! :P

Even if you’re living the single life, you can still go on all these fun city excursions with friends and family!  No matter what you end up doing this Valentine’s Day, more importantly it’s about being surrounded by the people you love that makes it even more special… xoxo  

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon