8 New Year’s Resolutions You Can Actually Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

With 2018 approaching, it’s hard not to want to set some goals for yourself. However, it’s not uncommon to run into some struggles when it comes to actually deciding what it is you want to promise. We either don’t make decisions at all, or we make promises so big that they may be a bit too lofty to obtain. So without further ado, here are eight simple, small goals that you can set for yourself that are easy to obtain while also significantly impacting your life.

1. Eating healthier when you have the chance.

Overhauling your entire diet is definitely hard and something that a lot of people struggle to keep up with, which is why making small changes here and there is much easier to obtain while also still having a significant difference. For example, instead of a soda, grab a water–or skip the late-night snacks.

2. Making more time for yourself to just be.

Especially living in New York City and being in college, we are always going, going, going–there are some days where even taking a shower feels like procrastinating. For this upcoming year, try taking an hour or so out of each day to just read a book or watch TV or go for a walk to just be on your own and taking time for yourself.

3. Posting less on social media.

Focus less on getting the perfect Instagram shot and more on living in the moment.

4. Journaling more.

It’s a great way to unwind at the end of every long day without having to rely on things like phone screens while also giving yourself the chance to reflect back on your day. I’ve been doing this for years and I tend to go through periods where I get too busy and forget to do it, but I’ve noticed that when I do actually do it, I feel a lot more calm and relaxed at the end of the night.

5. Reading a new book by an author you’ve never read before.

Just one book to try out isn’t asking a lot for 2018, and it can also open you up to an entire new world of stories that you’d never experienced before. Such a small effort going such a long way!

6. Trying a new food, sport, or hobby.

Nobody said you have to be good at it, and you don’t even have to stick with it or even love it. Just give it a shot, one time–simple, exciting, and still commitment-free.

7. Sticking to exercise once a week.

If you feel up to having a much stricter, regimented schedule, go for it! But if you know the commitment is going to be hard and that you may not be able to stick to it, trying to get some exercise in once a week–whether it’s a run around campus or a visit to the gym–is a much smaller goal that’s still good for you.

8. Learning something new.

Whether that means enrolling for a class that seems interesting or subscribing to a new YouTube channel that can teach you some fun facts, you can never have too much knowledge!

Those are just my eight suggestions of what to try out for 2018 resolutions this New Year’s! Best of luck with keeping your promises to yourself — both big and small!  

Jessica Cozzi is currently a sophomore at Fordham University, majoring in English and minoring in Creative Writing. Having been a YA lit blogger for several years, she aims to pursue a career in publishing post-graduation. Aside from boring nerdy things like school, she's a huge fan of reading romance stories and writing some of her own, as well as claiming to be a burrito connoisseur.