8 Iconic School Dance Scenes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

School dances are a big deal, even in college. Whether it’s Homecoming or Prom, there’s just as much drama as there is good food and dancing. Whether they’re heartwarming or otherwise, these iconic school dance moments are unforgettable. Put on your heels, zip up your dress, and go get ‘em, tiger.

1. Pretty in Pink

Andie just wants what the rest of us want – a killer dress and a cute date. This teen film tackles what we all inevitably go through at some point: your friends or your crush? At least she has the dress of her dreams.

2. Carrie

No school dance list would be complete without a mention of this horror classic. Unlike some others on this list, Carrie’s prom doesn’t quite turn out the way you would hope for a prom to end. The dry cleaning bill alone is frightening.

3. 10 Things I Hate About You

Maybe one of the most iconic high school films ever. Featuring Heath Ledger in his teen-heartthrob prime, every time we watch this movie it’s better than the last. The school dance is the cinematic climactic moment we both need and deserve – a second chance at love for Julia Stiles’ Kat.

4. Twilight

I know you can picture this scene line-for-line in your head. Bella is being dipped by Edward (and wearing that baby blue halter dress that complements her ankle cast oh so well) and asks him to turn her into a vampire. They’re together, Bella is safe, they’re dancing at prom, and their future seems so sure. It’s an important foundational moment in their love story, and a beautiful prom setting. Their decorating committee deserves an award.

5. The One With the Prom Tape

You know what I’m talking about – the episode of Friends when the gang is all gathered together to watch Monica and Rachel’s prom tape. When Rachel gets stood up, Ross puts on his best formalwear and steps up to take her himself – until she finds another date. This was heartbreaking to watch but worked out perfectly for present-day Ross. Their relationship may be tumultuous, but this episode proved to us that Love. Is. Real.

6. Mean Girls

Cady Heron’s Spring Fling was a chance for closure & some serious apologizing. Sometimes things don’t turn out the way we think they’re going to – the new girl from Africa wins Spring Fling Queen and the school’s queen bee gets hit by a bus. It happens. Cady learns a very valuable lesson about popularity in this iconic school dance scene – and teaches us all about the importance of friendship – and sharing.

7. Grease

Name a more iconic dance off, I literally dare you. If you didn’t try and master this dance scene standing in front of the tv in your pajamas, you’ve never truly seen this film. In a movie all about young love, nothing is more poignant than the drama of a high school dance.

8. The Virgin Suicides

While the rest of this film isn’t exactly a dream come true, the Lisbon sisters make the most of their Homecoming in matching white dresses. Lux (played by Kirsten Dunst) has the Homecoming night of a lifetime. Her date is gorgeous, she wins Homecoming Queen, and she loses her virginity in a steamy night on the football field.

Jacquelyn Kozak is a junior at Fordham University studying English and Visual Arts. She enjoys long walks through the zoo and looking at viral videos of dogs, and is allergic to her own cats.