This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Applying for jobs comes with a lot of stress. Why? Applying for a job most likely means you will have to interview for that job.

Everyone may not admit it, but trust me, interviews are always nerve-wracking. The moments leading up to the interview consist of constant preparation and pep talks to try and ease the  “before-an-interview jitters” before coming face-to-face. However, what about face-to-computer interviews?

Since the start of Covid-19, virtual interviews have become the new normal. Instead of meeting someone in person and risking the spread of the virus, a virtual interview ensures the safety of both parties. In-person and virtual interviews may be different, but they are equally as important. 

Unlike a traditional interview, virtual interviews require a set-up process beforehand. It is important to note the extra steps needed to prepare your surroundings. 

Here are 7 tips to help you nail that interview with your computer screen.

Make Sure You’re In The Spotlight…Literally

When setting up your space for a virtual interview, it is essential to check the lighting in your area, so you are not blurry or in the dark. A camera glare from natural light is pretty common, so having a lamp or small light shining on you from behind the screen is ideal for giving that spotlight you deserve.

Dress In Your “I Want This Job” Shirt

One of the perks of a virtual interview is only your top half is visible to the interviewer. However, dressing appropriately in your best business outfit is still required, even if it is just your top half. Research the company beforehand to determine how formal you should dress, but you can never go wrong with a nice blouse or blazer. 

Establish A Strong Relationship With Your Internet Connection

WiFi can cause a very love-hate relationship between you and your computer. There are times when the internet connection can run slowly or cut out. Although it is impossible to predict the status of your WiFi during the interview, placing yourself in a spot with a solid and consistent connection will decrease your chances of losing it. Having a backup router or phone hotspot ready in case of an emergency is helpful.

Check Your Surroundings, Then Check Again

There are only so many places to have your virtual interview. Regardless of where you decide to do it, make sure your background is not distracting. If there are people, multiple objects, or noise in the background, it can take away from what you are saying and, therefore, distract the interviewer. Try positioning yourself in front of a blank wall and a private location if possible. You should be the main act during a virtual interview, not your roommate watching television in the background.

Determine That Picture-Perfect Camera Angle

Situating yourself appropriately in front of the camera is a crucial step to improving your on-screen appearance. You should sit on the same plane as the camera and tilt the screen down so there is no white space above your head when facing your computer. You are the center of attention and, therefore, should be in the center of the screen.

Have A Staring Contest With The Camera 

When speaking to someone on a virtual video platform, it is common to look at the person speaking. Even though you are technically looking at the person, that is not how they view you on the other end. Staring at the person in their video box indicates that you are looking down. When answering interview questions, it is important to stare directly at the camera at the top of your screen to make it seem like you are making eye contact. Keep that chin high and pretend the camera is a pair of eyes. 

Speak Loud and Proud, But Mostly Loud

Virtual interviews rely on the strength of your microphone. To ensure the person on the other end can hear you loud and clear, make sure to raise your voice the right amount without screaming. After all, projecting demonstrates confidence. 

Taylor Masi

Fordham '22

Taylor is a senior majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Film & Television and Communication and Culture. Aside from writing for HC, Taylor is the captain of the Fordham University dance team, where she performs at all home sporting events and choreographs for the team. She also is a member of the Fordham Dance Marathon, where she helps raise money for pediatric cancers and writes for The Ram, Fordham's student newspaper.