The 50 Best and Worst Things that Happened in 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

1.     Miley Cyrus twerking phase: The girl has been twerking on everyone from Robin Thicke to Santa Clause. This has become an epidemic.

2.     Jennifer Lawrence winning an Academy Award (and gracefully falling on her way up the stairs). Jennifer Lawrence is like everyone’s famous best friend so when she won it was a mini victory for all of us.

3.     American Royalty, baby North being born: We all got a chuckle out of Kim and Kanye naming their daughter by flipping around a compass. But really, those are gonna be some tough middle school years.  Good luck, North West. 

4.     Actual Royalty, Prince George: If this isn’t the most perfect family photo than I don’t know what is. Still not sure why they dressed him up in this ornate dress though.

5.     The Destinys Child Superbowl show: We all have to admit, this was the best 3 minutes of the entire game (except for maybe the lights went out).

6.     Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams got back together: All our wishes have been granted. Best news we’ve heard all year *Commence The Notebook marathons* 

7.     The Great Gatsby was released: Possibly the sharpest we’ve ever seen Leo and I mean really, if you haven’t had a crush on Leo since the Titanic era, are you actually even a girl?

8.     Cory Monteith died of drug overdose: Finn Hudson was like that charming football player from high school that you would eye as he walked down the hall. Rest in peace beautiful boy. 

9.     Breaking Bad series finale: Our reaction, too. The best show on television is over, so now we’re forced to watch subpar movies on Netflix and Friends reruns.

10. Ben Affleck is going to be the new batman: Although Christian Bale takes the cake for his portrayal of Bruce Wayne, we won’t mind seeing Ben knock a few guys out and save Gotham.

11. The James Franco and Seth Rogan “Bound 2” parody: If you haven’t seen this video, youtube it now. This is the best Kimye parody ever created, and possibly the funniest thing these two goons have done thus far. 

12. The Jonas Brothers break up: Remember when you rocked out to “Year 3000” with your friends after that grueling day at middle school? My 12-year-old heart was crushed when this trio split up in October. 

13. The Hot dogs or Legs tumblr: But really, are they hot dogs, or legs?

14. THE AMANDA BYNES MELTDOWN: Possibly the most entertaining celebrity meltdown since Britney. Who would have thought the little girl from All That would one day have cheek piercings, a DUI and the most notorious twitter feed of the year?

15. Candy Crush took over our lives: This game had us more hooked than Farmville. Also, whats up with the creepy ginger candy man?

16. The Justin Timberlake/Jimmy Fallon #hashtag parody: We’re all guilty of overusing hash tags and who better (or cuter) to call us out on it than these two.

17. Jessie James and Eric Decker got married- This couple made us all want to teeze our hair and become Bronos’ fans. If you aren’t already obsessed with these two, watch the “I Do” music video. Warning: You’re heart will melt and a serious infatuation with these two will begin. 

18. 50 Shades of Grey filming began starring Jamie Dornan: mmmmmhm Christian Grey.

19. Auburn made the play of the year against their longtime rival, Alabama: There is no doubt this kid is still getting champagne showers for this play.

20. “I hit it first” came out: Ray-J came out with this single just to remind everyone of Kim’s first claim to fame.

21. Pixie Cuts came back in: These ladies took the plunge and chopped it all off. Pixie cuts are back in and continue to be seen on women all over Hollywood.

22. ‘N SYNC reunited at the VMAs: Undoubtably, this was the highlight of the VMA’s (even if it was only for like 90 seconds). Move over Miley, these guys stole all our hearts long ago #byebyebye

23. Paul Walker died: Those crystal blue eyes have had us drooling since he played Dean in She’s All That. Thank god we can have daylong marathons of The Fast & the Furious series to see this angel.

24. Orange is the New Black– Possibly the new Breaking Bad series brought to us by our one true love, Netflix. This show features badass lesbians, drugs and an insight of life in prison. What more could you want from a television series?

25. Kimye gets engaged: Kanye proposed to Kim in October at a San Fran baseball field. Heres hoping third times a charm!

26. The Manti Te’o incident: The Heisman Trophy candidate got scrutinized at the beginning of the year for his alleged “fake girlfriend”. Hey, some of us never grow out of our imaginary friend phase. 

27. Drake’s new album: Drake’s new music had us all on the verge of tears and regretting our past relationships. Whatever type of emotional wreck you are, Drake’s got you covered.

28. Raven Symone came out- Well, we all kinda knew she played for the other team when she dressed up like this on That’s So Raven.

29. Justin Beiber gets carried to top of The Great Wall of China: The Beibs got much scrutiny for this incident, but what these critics don’t understand is that he would have to actually have to pull up his pants to climb up all those steps. Duh!

30. Miley and Liam break up: The couple broke it off in September. Can’t say we didn’t see this coming after his cheating rumors and her VMA performance. Ever since then, it seems Miley just Can’t Be Tamed (ba-dum-tissssss!)

31. Rebecca Black came out with a sequel to “Friday”: The 16 year old strikes again with another genius song. Can you guess what the name of this one is? (hint: it comes after Friday)

32. Beyonces pizza outfit: Possibly the single greatest outfit ever worn by Queen B. And yes, those are pepperoni’s on her pants.

33. James Gandolfini died- The Emmy Award winning actor died on June 19th at the age of 51 from cardiac arrest. This guy made us all wish our dad’s were badass, italian gangsters (kinda). Rest in Peace big guy.

34. Leighton Meester and Adam Brody got engaged: Blair Waldorf and Seth Cohen are getting married! The two announced their engagement a few weeks ago and I’m praying she wears Blair’s gown from the GG series finale (pretty please!)

35. The Kanye West/Jimmy Kimmel feud: Possibly the funniest twitter feud this year, considering Kanye is pretty much a ticking time bomb these days.

36. Lauren Conrad got engaged: After the many frogs she kissed, our favorite “Laguna Beach” gal got engaged this year to her hunky long-time boyfriend, William Tell. Remember when she chose that douchebag Jason over going to Paris? #alwayschooseparis

37. The Oxford Dictionary claimed “Selfie” as the official word of 2013: I would personally like to thank all the white girls out there for making this happen. Without your duck faces and mirror pics, this wouldn’t be possible.

38. Reese Witherspoon got arrested: The all American girl sipped one too many cocktails one night and found herself being hand-cuffed for disorderly conduct. Who knew Elle Woods was such a rebel?

39. Ellen Degeneres dressed up as Nicki Minaj for Halloween: This year for halloween we saw something more shocking than Rob Kardashians weight gain (shed’s tear). Ellen’s depiction of Nicki Minaj is seriously spot-on. From everything to the risqué crop top to the blonde wig, Ellen is the new Nicki. 

40. The Pope was named person of the year: Fun fact- Did you know the pope used to work as a bouncer at a Buenos Aires nightclub? What a boss.

41. Kris Jenner had her own talk show: It’s okay if you missed Kris’ daytime show since it was basically just the Kardashian clan visiting their mom. The show was cut short after just six weeks because of low rating. A for effort, Kris.

42. Banksy came to New York City: The pseudonymous England-based graffiti artist travelled around the boroughs this fall, creating amazing works of art. 

43.“What Does the Fox Say” got stuck in our heads: Thank god this ridiculous song came out so now we all know what the fox says.

44. Adam Levine named People’s Sexiest Man Alive: I mean, who else would it be?

45. The Victoria’s Secret fashion show: The 2013 VS Fashion show had us all wishing we were 5 inches taller and promising ourselves we would get serious about the gym. But in reality, those girls have those bodies, but we have pizza. So, who’s the real winner here?

46. Vine was created: This app changed the game- Now, we could take not just pictures, but videos of our food! Genuis.

47. Honey Boo Boo & her family dressed up as the Kardashians: For Halloween, Honey Boo Boo, Mama June and the rest of the family dressed in their best attire for their Kardashian imitation. Personally, I think Sugar Bear takes the gold for his impersonation of Bruce Jenner. 

48. Lana Del Rey came out with a short film: The Fordham alum released her long anticipated video “Tropico”. The 30-minute video is a mix between biblical stories and modern day LA. It’s artistic, to say the least.

49. Snooki lost 50 pounds: Our favorite meatball not only has her own family now, but managed to shed 50 pounds within the last year. So I guess she’s more like a sausage link now? Props to you Snooks.

50. Batkid: The single greatest event of the year that restored our faith in humanity. San Francisco basically shut down a part of its city to give 5 year old, Miles Scott, the chance to live out his comic book dream. The tike suffers from leukemia, and thanks to the Make-a-Wish foundation, he spent the day fighting crime and saving gotham! (well almost)