5 Ways to Celebrate Galentine’s Day in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. Lucky for us, February brings a day to celebrate and rejoice with your loved ones. It’s Galentine’s Day, of course. Once a year, we pay tribute to the founder of this great holiday, Leslie Knope, and get together with our gals to celebrate our friendship on February 13th.

If you want to make this year’s Galentine’s Day the most memorable one yet, check out this list:

1. Galentine’s Day Party in Brooklyn

Word Bookstores is hosting a party and romance panel at Villain in Brooklyn on February 13th. Romance authors, such as Sarah MacLean and Maya Rodale, will be hosting the panel. The night will also include games, raffles, and an open bar for two hours. The price to attend this event is $20 and doors open at 7 p.m.

2. Radio Star Karaoke & Bar

Grab some dinner with your friends and sing the night away to karaoke featuring some of the radio’s best artists like Zayn, Adele, and Demi Lovato. Seriously, there are thousands of songs to choose from. Radio Star is open from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Mondays so head over there on February 13.

3. Head To The Movies To See Hidden Figures

Take a trip to your nearest movie theater to celebrate some serious girl power with your friends this Galentine’s Day. See the true story based on three powerful women, who overcame racial and gender oppression to help NASA launch the first effective space missions. (And be sure to check with your student involvement office for discounted movie tickets.)

4. Mani-Pedis

Surprise your friends by spending some time pampering yourselves and getting matching designs on your nails.

5. Brunch and Tea in the Gardens

Visit Wave Hill in the Bronx with your best gals this Galentine’s Day for $4. Stroll through the gardens and enjoy the self-guided tours of the woodland. The café at Wave Hill offers a wide selection of foods from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., where you and your friends can enjoy the views over brunch. Wave Hill also offers afternoon tea for $26 from 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. but you’ll need to make reservations 48 hours in advance. Unfortunately, the gardens are closed Mondays, so you and the girls might need to celebrate Galentine’s Day a bit earlier if you’d like to visit the café.

Whatever you decide to do with your best girls, make this holiday a memorable one. 

Miranda is a commuter junior at Fordham's Lincoln Center campus, where she majors in English and minors in psychology, and is a commuter freshman mentor. Born and raised in New Jersey, she loves everything about the garden state, from the endless highways to the excess of diners. She's an aspiring writer and hopes to have a career as a director for first year experience at a university someday.