5 Ways to Avoid Being the Next Security Alert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It’s not always easy being a collegiette in an area as notoriously dangerous as the Bronx. This year, students seem to be receiving an influx of security alerts – significantly more than in past years. The Bronx may be intimidating, but it is our home, and leaving campus is a necessary part of our Fordham experience. Here are some measures you can take to make sure you won’t be the victim behind a security alert the next time you leave Fordham’s gates.

1. Travel in a group

Most incidents happen when a person is travelling alone. The more people you are with, the less likely you are to be the victim of an assault or robbery. No attacker wants to go against a group of people, especially when they are flying solo. 

2. Don’t take your phone out

The most common theme of the latest security alerts has been robbers swiftly snatching iPhones from unsuspecting students. The easiest way to keep this from happening to you is to keep your phone in your bag or pocket at all times. If they don’t see that you have it, they probably won’t try to take it.

3. Leave your jewelry in your dorm room

We collegiettes love to get dressed up when we go out, but it’s safer to keep our bling at home. Wearing a shiny watch or sparkly ring is a surefire way of catching the attention of a potential robber, and it’s just not worth the risk!

4. Keep required items in close reach

Rummaging through your bag every time you need your ID or metro card may make you susceptible to a robbery. Keeping these items somewhere that won’t even require you to open your bag, like your pocket or an ID case, will prevent your possessions from being taken for good.

5. Always be aware of your surroundings

You are most likely to get attacked when you are least expecting it. It may be tempting to listen to music through your headphones while walking down Fordham Road, but it’s important for you to be totally aware of your surroundings at all times. If an attacker knows that you won’t be able to hear him coming up behind you, he may view you as an easy target.

Stay safe, collegiettes!