pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things To Remember When Your Senior Friends Are Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you’ve ever read Perks of Being a Wallflower, you know how Charlie felt when Sam and Patrick graduated. Perks Syndrome is a real thing, for sure. If the impending graduation of your older friends is getting you down, check out these 5 things to remember when your friends are jumping ship to go be adults.

1) It’s okay to panic a bit.

Let’s face it: knowing that you’re not going to see a bunch of your friends on the reg is a sucky feeling. You have every right to freak a bit.

2) But remember that they’re probably panicking too.

While you get to stay behind in college, these people need to go adult. Yup: taxes, rent, real-people jobs. Not fun, man, not fun. That being said…

3) Be a support system.

As I said, these people need to go ADULT. That’s right: no more 3-am bar crawls for your graduating friends. With adulting comes stress, and with stress comes…more stress? Regardless, be there for your friends – they may need a person to come to and talk about all the changes going on in their lives. Be that person for them!

4) This is exciting, man!

Some of your friends are going off to be badasses and take on the real world. If that doesn’t give you a proud-mom feeling, I don’t know what will. They’re gonna be awesome! And you’re gonna be awesome too, you little underclassman you.

5) Enjoy the time you have left together.

Whether it’s by going out and tearing up the bars, or having quiet movie nights (@ my friends), the best thing to do is enjoy those final days y’all have together. And remember, even though you aren’t going to be seeing your friends every day, they’re still going to be there (unless they’re shipping off to Timbuktu, in which case you have bigger problems). In this day and age of technology, it’s so easy to keep in contact with people. So go ahead, start a group chat with your senior friends and keep bugging them every day (you know, to remind them that you still exist and miss them).

Ashley is currently a student at Fordham University who's double majoring in English and Philosophy, and minoring in Business Administration. Her hometown is Northport, New York (Long Island represent!!). On campus, a few out of many things she's involved in are Let's Get Ready, the Philosopher's Society, FUEMS, Autism Speaks U, Colleges Against Cancer, and writes for both Her Campus and the Fordham Ram. She loves her job working with special needs individuals in a therapeutic horseback riding program (https://www.facebook.com/dreambigtherapeutic), playing the piano, the entirety of the Christmas season, her dog, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Recently, she's binge-watched Game of Thrones and Archer. Ashley is super excited to be writing for Her Campus!! Follow her on Instagram (@ashkatusaa) or Twitter (@ashiisaurr) for occasional witty comments.