5 New Releases Every College Girl Needs On Her Bookshelf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

September may be the start of a new semester, but that’s not all. It’s also the beginning of the fall publishing cycle for many publishing companies worldwide. As we usher the fall season in with excitement, here are five new book releases you should check out. 

1. They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera 

I am quite possibly the world’s biggest Adam Silvera fan, so it makes perfect sense that this book would be at the top of my list. They Both Die At The End is exactly what it sounds like — a grim alternate-reality New York City where you receive a text from a government program called Death Cast on the day that you’re going to die. Death Cast can’t tell you the where or the when of your untimely end — just that it will be sometime in the next twenty-four hours. So when Mateo Torrez receives his call, he’s desperate to make his last day count by finding a friend and doing everything he never had the chance to do. But when he finds himself paired up with Rufus, another teen who received his Death Cast call that day, his feelings kick into overdrive. If you’re looking for a gripping tale of love, loss, and adventure, this book is definitely for you. And the question remains: do they actually both die at the end? You’ll have to read the book to find out!

2. Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore

If you’re looking for something a little more on the unrealistic side, Jane, Unlimited is the perfect book for you. The story follows Jane, a young girl leading a seemingly normal life, when things start to take a turn for the complicated. Before she knows it, Jane is wrapped up in all sorts of romance and drama that will lead her to make unconventional choices that will ultimately decide her fate.

3. If There’s No Tomorrow by Jennifer L. Armentrout

If you’re looking for a gripping, page-turning, super attractive romance, you can basically pick up any book that Jennifer L. Armentrout has ever written. But I’m especially excited for If There’s No Tomorrow because the summary is so exciting — this story follows Lena, a senior in high school who is hopelessly in love with her best friend, Sebastian…and eventually makes a terrible decision that leads everything in her life to collapse around her. Jennifer L. Armentrout is known for her exciting plot twists and swoon-worthy romance scenes, so if that sounds like it’s your style, I definitely recommend checking this one out.

4. Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

Ever the queen of plot twists and mysteries, E. Lockhart is back at it again with another gripping tale, this time following a girl named Jule who steals her best friend’s identity and goes on the run for something horrible that she did a while back, and all the loose ends to the scene and the life that she left behind. What did she do, and does she get caught? You’ll have to read the book to find out!

5. I Hate Everyone But You by Gaby Dunn & Allison Raskin

I just finished this book a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, this book perfectly summarizes everyone’s first year of college. Told entirely through a series of e-mails and texts, two best friends, Gen and Ava, are struggling to keep in touch after they both start their freshman years of college on opposite sides of the country. While Gen is living it up, making new friends, and even getting into some tricky situations, Ava feels left behind, joining a sorority that she doesn’t like and trying to keep up with her wild and adventurous best friend. This book left me laughing and feeling warm and fuzzy with so many adorable emotions throughout the entire thing, so if you’re looking for a light, easy read that will leave you feeling great, this book is definitely the one for you.

Luckily for you, we live in a digital age where you can find all of these books and more with just the click of a button through sites such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Goodreads. So what are you waiting for? Choose a book, find somewhere cozy to sit, and get reading!

Jessica Cozzi is currently a sophomore at Fordham University, majoring in English and minoring in Creative Writing. Having been a YA lit blogger for several years, she aims to pursue a career in publishing post-graduation. Aside from boring nerdy things like school, she's a huge fan of reading romance stories and writing some of her own, as well as claiming to be a burrito connoisseur.