5 Best Ways to Stay Organized in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Don’t know where to get started when it comes to getting organized for school?

Try these five tips to optimize your organization skills and minimize stress to do your best this semester!

1. Use a Calendar

Calendars are a great way to stay organized. Put on all your important dates relating to school, personal, work, and extracurriculars, to stay updated on all your events! Once you have a calendar/planner, you can organize it to work best for you. I like to color-code mine by having each class have its own color and then have separate colors for extracurricular activities and personal events.

2. Tidy Up Your Workspace

Working in a clean place makes it so much get work done. Clean up wherever it is that you do work to increase your motivation to get your tasks done.

3. Break Up Your Tasks

Looking at all the things you have to do can be intimidating. Break up each of your tasks into smaller parts to make it easier to get started. One way to do this is by first looking at the big picture of what you have to do to understand how the final result should come out. Then examine the different parts of the task, such as figuring out step-by-step what you need to do. Create a timeline for when you should have each of these parts done. Finishing the pieces in their logical order will ensure that your project is done by its final deadline.

4. Set Goals

It’s much easier to find a reason to stay organized when you have goals. Establish goals that you want to accomplish for the semester to keep you focused on what you have to get done. You can set goals for different areas, such as school and/or extracurriculars.

5. Make To-Do Lists

To-Do lists are one of my favorite ways to stay on top of everything. Write down everything you have to do for your classes, extracurriculars, and miscellaneous things. When doing this, it’s helpful to be specific. For example, instead of just writing that you have to study biology, state the chapters you have to read. By being specific, it makes the tasks seem more manageable and make it easier to focus on getting them done.

These are some quick, essential tips to improve your organization skills and will make for a stress-free semester (for the most part!).

Hi! I'm majoring in Communications and Culture with a minor in Marketing at Fordham Rose Hill. I hope you enjoy my articles!