4 Reasons YOU Should Come To Relay For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

1) Luminaria.

Luminaria bags are illuminated to pay tribute to people’s loved ones who are fighting cancer and to those who lost their fight with the disease. Luminarias are symbols of hope, perseverance, and reverence, and the Luminaria ceremony is one of the most beautiful, memorable parts of Relay for Life.

2) See your classmates.

The end of the school year is rapidly approaching, and let’s face it, you’re sort of going to miss your friends over the summer. And for seniors, it’s even worse…you’re going off to go do real-life-grownup things. Yuck. Come out for one last hoorah with your classmates before the stress of finals begins!

3) Lip-sync battle.

That’s right, you heard it here first. There’s going to be an awesome lip-sync battle – complete with an honorary emcee. Have you been looking for a chance to embarrass yourself impress your classmates? This is it.

4) Support a good cause.

According to an article in the Huffington Post, 12.7 million people discover they have cancer each year. Furthermore, 7.6 million people die due to the disease each year. By showing your support for Relay for Life by attending the event or donating, you’re helping find a cure for a disease that affects millions each year.

There’s still time to sign up for Relay for Life! Head on over here to join/make a team, or to simply donate to the cause. We’ll see you all on Eddie’s at 5 pm on April 22nd!

Ashley is currently a student at Fordham University who's double majoring in English and Philosophy, and minoring in Business Administration. Her hometown is Northport, New York (Long Island represent!!). On campus, a few out of many things she's involved in are Let's Get Ready, the Philosopher's Society, FUEMS, Autism Speaks U, Colleges Against Cancer, and writes for both Her Campus and the Fordham Ram. She loves her job working with special needs individuals in a therapeutic horseback riding program (https://www.facebook.com/dreambigtherapeutic), playing the piano, the entirety of the Christmas season, her dog, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Recently, she's binge-watched Game of Thrones and Archer. Ashley is super excited to be writing for Her Campus!! Follow her on Instagram (@ashkatusaa) or Twitter (@ashiisaurr) for occasional witty comments.