3 Insights into NYT Bestseller, ‘Quiet’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain is the New York Times bestseller exploring the extrovert ideal that our society holds while undervaluing the importance of introverts. Here are a few sneak peaks before picking up your own copy.

“There’s zero correlation between being the best talker and having the best ideas.”

Cain explores data exhibiting that just because a leader is loud and proud, doesn’t mean she actually knows what she’s talking about. Often times, we appointment leaders for their outgoing personalities. When someone exuberates confidence we start to trust them and think “He must know what he’s talking about!” but that’s not necessarily true. Often times, the best ideas come from the quietest person, as an introvert gets the chance to observe others and formulate thoughts.

“Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you’re supposed to.”

I am my own person, just like you are your own person. Cain suggests individuals not to feel bad if they don’t feel bad for disliking what others pretend to love. Your free time is just that, exactly yours. Use your free time to unwind if that makes you happier than running wild. Using your free time in an unfavorable way will only cause you more stress and anxiety.

“We have two ears and one mouth and we should use them proportionally.”

Take the time to listen to the people around you. Whether you are introvert, extrovert, or down the middle, it is essential to sometimes close your mouth and just hear other people out. Often times we focus on our own ideas and ideas that reinforce your own opinions. Cain writes that listening to opinions and viewpoints that differ from our own will not only broaden our horizons and alter our perceptions, but will allow us to further formulate our own opinions and solidify what is personally important.