sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Hidden Gem Summer Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Looking for a legitimate summer vacation, but don’t want to break the bank? We’ve got you covered with three hidden gem vacation spots, all in America. 

1) Fairport, New York: This tiny upstate village is a picturesque snapshot of small town living. I get it, upstate New York may not be your first choice in summer getaway destination, but I think it should be. Fairport is overflowing with quaint B and Bs (the traditional, not the “air” kind) wall to wall with tons of delicious and inexpensive restaurants to suit any taste. I recommend grabbing an ice cream cone from the Ice Cream Factory and walking along the bridge over the Erie Canal. The best time to go is the first weekend of June when the town celebrates its annual festival called Canal Days. Picture cotton candy, lemonade, and beautiful artisanal goods. A boho summer daydream. Not to mention, literally every person is nice. Like, all of them. 

2) Naples, Florida: This may seem like a more obvious choice because, hey, it’s Florida. Naples is a perfect summer choice because it’s away from the hustle and bustle of land-locked Orlando and not quite as rambunctious as Miami. It’s mostly populated by older retirement communities which could seem boring and a little too settled down for an adequately “lit” summer break, but those older people really know how to wind down. You’ll never have to wait for a table at one of the delicious, diverse restaurants and you’ll basically have access to your own private beach every day. It’s a win-win.

3) Newport Beach, California: Okay, so I live here. Kind of. But, hear me out, it’s a great place to spend a week in the summer. It’s an hour south of Los Angeles and an hour north of San Diego, so it could even be a stop on a perfect little road trip up the Southern Californian coastline. It’s the location of some of your favorite tv shows (Arrested Development, I’m looking at you) and the beaches are to die for. The food is great, the shopping is better, the seafront is best. Honestly, I feel blessed to exist daily in a place like this so you should too. 

I enjoy British cookies. Biscuits, if you will.